Teacher training GCSEs requirements- French equivalent?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
JaneEyre

Re: Teacher training GCSEs requirements- French equivalent?

Post by JaneEyre »

Bookmark wrote:Does anyone know if the French baccalaureate with strong maths component would be equivalent to Maths GCSE for the purpose of Teacher training?
I have a French Baccalaureate with strong maths and physics component. I have gone through the process with NARIC. I have been given an equivalence for my baccalauréat and it says on the letter:
- It is considered comparable to the overall GCE Advanced level
- Every subject passed may be considered at least comparable to GCSE grades A*-C, where a grade of 10 or above has been obtained, with the exception of English language. English is studied as a second language and is not considered comparable to English language GCSE studied in the UK

That said, this is not enough for a language institute in the UK in which I worked some ten years ago and where all the rules have tightened up (I now need FS level 2 in maths + PGCE if I wish to go back and work there).
So I will sit the FS level 2 in maths this May just to have this British qualification ( It seems easy but I will have to do several papers during the holidays. Frankly, I do not see the point to show our level in maths when we teach French… I just feel lucky to love maths; therefore, that does not bother me too much, though I consider that it is a waste of time and energy for something which will not be useful).
Bookmark wrote: For English, I guess the Cambridge Proficiency and old ELIC would do.
I am far from sure that the proficiency is enough as it is very differerent from the English GCSE ( though I do fully appreciate how hard it is to get the Proficiency with a grade A!)
Personally, I am sitting my English GCSE this year as now, teachers in England need this qualification to work in schools. ( a few months ago, there were no talk of all schools becoming academies! :wink: )
Bookmark

Post by Bookmark »

Thank you very much Jane Eyre, this is very helpful.
Are you planning to teach in primary schools?
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Normally, secondary schools and adults centres; but if there is a place in a private primary with a proper syllabus in French, why not...
Do you aim only at primary schools?
Bookmark

Post by Bookmark »

No, I was hoping to teach French, and maybe Spanish. That is something I have been planning to do for a long time but never managed to. I finally get the chance to do it and I was hoping to start training in September. It is a bit rushed as I was commited elsewhere next year but circumstances have changed.
I am getting everything going though and I will take it one step at a time, but I do not fancy taking English GCSE. I will update you when NARIC gets back to me.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Bookmark wrote: I finally get the chance to do it and I was hoping to start training in September.
So you start your PGCE this September? Plz, keep me informed as I wish to do it in a few years time.

Have you already done the maths and English tests to be able to enrol onto the PGCE course? Because I have heard that in English, there is a spelling test ( I do not fear that one) and an exercise where you have to choose the 'right' sentence (When I have heard the kind of sentences between which we have to choose from, I found this exercise very tricky :( . Personally, I will need to brush up the modals and know them like the back of my hand :lol: ). Please, I would be delighted if you could inform me about the content of this test so that I could brush up the other topics in which I will feel weak. :wink:
Bookmark wrote:I do not fancy taking English GCSE.
I was fearing taking it, but it turns out that I am really enjoying the course as I really do love reading and discovering more about English literature. In fact, I am loving it so much that it gave me the idea to apply to college for next year to study English language, English literature and hopefully ( according to my time), creative writing. I would be so happy to have a BIG push in English, even though I do not really need it for my future job! Or maybe I am unrealistic and the level of all these AS is too high for me? Next year will tell me... :?
Bookmark wrote: I will update you when NARIC gets back to me.
Yes please! :D though it should be the same as the answer I have received.
Last edited by JaneEyre on Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The Student Room website has a useful thread about the skills tests - I think there are several posts about the spelling. There are also pratice tests online.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Thanks for info, Guest55! :D
moved

Post by moved »

JaneEyre wrote:Normally, secondary schools and adults centres; but if there is a place in a private primary with a proper syllabus in French, why not...
Do you aim only at primary schools?
Why a private primary? We are a state primary academy and we teach French well from EYFS. We have a developed syllabus that ensures a good grounding and our children really fly at secondary school.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now