Employers views of different unis for humanities

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
quasimodo

Re: Employers views of different unis for humanities

Post by quasimodo »

This is a useful link to those who have a Linkedin profile.It just shows what has happened in the past and is happening currently.

https://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings/g ... flt-ctg-dd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My eldest dd,my nephew and niece who are all 21 and at different Universities and who have been applying for internship's and graduate posts have for the most part had to give details of their Universities and their A level grades at the beginning of the process.The position has been changing in the last 12 months with some employers for new applications.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All tables are only as useful as the quality of data ie ignore this too.

I note the narrow range of 'businesses' too ... mad? is far more accurate imho.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Guest55 wrote:All tables are only as useful as the quality of data ie ignore this too.

I note the narrow range of 'businesses' too ... mad? is far more accurate imho.
Everyone is intelligent enough to come to their own conclusions from the thousands of profiles.

I recall when I went with my eldest to the LSE for the open days had she been considering a career as a merchant banker it was the obvious place to go.The Linkedin profile clearly supports that.

I haven't disagreed with what mad has written and are aware of the recent changes made by some legal practices in the "magic circle" in the City of London and the large accountancy/consultancy firms.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Thankfully not everyone wants a 'career' in banking ... this thread is about a Liberal Arts degree.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Guest55 wrote:Thankfully not everyone wants a 'career' in banking ... this thread is about a Liberal Arts degree.
The thread is about "Employers views of different Universities for humanities and in particular Bristol,Durham,Exeter and Warwick leading to work for the UN (she knows this is tough) or an NGO eventually.

One of my ex colleagues who is now an assistant professor at a Scottish University previously worked as a ‘Consultant’ with the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR, Geneva), where she was a course director of different courses on money laundering, corruption, public finance management, multilateral trade negotiations and microfinance. She still gives yearly lecture updates to my firm on money laundering.

http://www.unitar.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Abraham Lincoln
mad?

Post by mad? »

quasimodo wrote:My eldest dd,my nephew and niece who are all 21 and at different Universities and who have been applying for internship's and graduate posts have for the most part had to give details of their Universities and their A level grades at the beginning of the process..
This will continue as recruitment teams want to monitor which 'type' of candidate is most successful 2/5/10 years down the line as well as on placement just to see if there is actually any genuine statistical correlation between any of these factors and subsequent performance data. However, just like ethnic monitoring data, is it not visible to any of the recruiters during the decision making process. Names and gender data are frequently removed from what recruiters can see when sifting CVs as well. Needless to say these become more visible at later stage of the process and larger recruiters will be monitoring conversion rates at each stage to see if any bias is evident there.
mad?
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

When I short list from a national jobs website, I cant see name, gender, age, address or nationally, but can see qualifications and uni but obviously it varies from company to company. However this electronic filtering is easy to get round if you want an employer to know any of this information by including it in the personal statement. Candidates known to me have been known to sign their personal statement to ensure I recognise their application. If you think the uni is filtered out it is easy to write a statement such as "Whilst at ....... uni I enjoyed playing squash" which makes the filtering system pointless.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

quasimodo - the information was requested in relation to a specific degree ...
mad?

Post by mad? »

Minesatea wrote:. If you think the uni is filtered out it is easy to write a statement such as "Whilst at ....... uni I enjoyed playing squash" .
That's true, but I guess by that point at least the application is being read. Given that at graduate level most CVs are screened on competency/strengths based questions I guess someone who wasted their word count with such context might at least be scoring short on communication or generally being irritating :) ...not that that would ever count of course, oh no :shock:
mad?
Amber

Post by Amber »

quasimodo wrote:http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/20 ... port16.pdf

Universities Targeted by the Largest Number of Top Employers in 2015-2016

1. Manchester
2. Nottingham
3 Warwick
4. Bristol
5. Cambridge
6. Oxford
7. London University College
8. Durham
9. Bath
10. Leeds
11. Birmingham
12. London Imperial College
13. Edinburgh
14. London School of Economics
15. Loughborough
16. Sheffield
17. Southampton
18. Exeter
19. Newcastle
20. London King’s College
21. York
22. Cardiff
23. Liverpool
24. Lancaster
25. Glasgow

It is appreciated it doesn't include small and medium sized employers.It is the most recent survey.
I won't name the university but one very close to the top of this list indeed was supremely unimpressive when we visited it post-offer. DD received an email in which the person wished her good luck for her A levels (she took them two years ago); said that if she dropped a grade they would still have her (it was already offering far lower than any other of her chosen ones) while at the same time giving her an unconditional offer; and misspelt the word 'certificate' so badly we have adopted the word into family mick-takes. DD is choosing between 5 universities and that one - higher on here than all her others - fell straight off the list after an entirely unimpressive visit. I would take this list and indeed others like it with a massive pinch of salt.