UK universities slip in world rankings

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Catseye

UK universities slip in world rankings

Post by Catseye »

Cambridge and Oxford remain in the top five, at fourth and fifth place respectively, but both have moved down two places on their 2015 ranking.
The US continues to dominate the Times Higher Education (THE) world reputation rankings, with Harvard top.
Asia has 17 universities in the top 100 - up from 10 in last year's rankings.
Three London universities stay in the top third of the table - Imperial College London at 15, University College London at 20 and the London School of Economics and Political Science at 24 - but each has fallen slightly on last year's ranking.
University of Edinburgh (38th), King's College London (43rd), University of Manchester (joint 49th), London Business School (between 81st and 90th) and University of Warwick (between 81st and 90th) also made the top 100 global reputation ranking.

Want to read more?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36203613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tiffinboys

Re: UK universities slip in world rankings

Post by tiffinboys »

Harvard would be just fine. Malia would be one of the seniors. :wink:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

No league table is worth the paper it is printed on ...
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:No league table is worth the paper it is printed on ...
+1

Another day, another league table.
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

Quite right - I chose the course and the uni that were right for me, despite pressure from school to sit Oxbridge, and will be encouraging my children to do the same.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

+1
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

That is a reputation ranking which seems to be based solely on teaching and research and its the research that lets down Cambridge.

there is yet another ranking on TES in which the order is totally different, so yes league tables aren't really worth anything
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Catseye wrote:Cambridge and Oxford remain in the top five, at fourth and fifth place respectively, but both have moved down two places on their 2015 ranking.
The US continues to dominate the Times Higher Education (THE) world reputation rankings, with Harvard top.
Asia has 17 universities in the top 100 - up from 10 in last year's rankings.
Three London universities stay in the top third of the table - Imperial College London at 15, University College London at 20 and the London School of Economics and Political Science at 24 - but each has fallen slightly on last year's ranking.
University of Edinburgh (38th), King's College London (43rd), University of Manchester (joint 49th), London Business School (between 81st and 90th) and University of Warwick (between 81st and 90th) also made the top 100 global reputation ranking.

Want to read more?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-36203613" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Australian University my eldest is presently at on her year abroad has slipped so much that its fallen from 60th to where I can't find it.Oh well, I know she is still there.

Interesting to note for what its worth all the ones gaining ground are Eastern Universities and the ones going down the rankings are Western Universities and I include Australia in the West.

Funny every league table that comes out gets trashed and yet we still look to see where certain Universities are, depending on what you are looking for.

For my own part the horizon for University was only the UK. Now the horizon with tuition fees and loans is European and International for my children hence keeping an eye on international league tables.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

quasimodo wrote: .... yet we still look to see where certain Universities are, depending on what you are looking for.
I don't.

Just like choosing a school, it is the right uni for the student that is important.
Proud_Dad

Post by Proud_Dad »

Try telling that to anyone from Leicester, particularly those who put a few quid on them to win at the start of the season!! :mrgreen:

Anyway, back to the Uni league. While it might all be a bit meaningless and despite the fact that UK unis have apparently "slipped" slightly, overall I think it shows that the UK should be proud of its higher education system.

Other than the US obviously, our universities seem to be some of the most highly regarded worldwide which is quite impressive considering the relative size of our population and economy. We certainly seem to have the most topped ranked universities in Europe.