UK universities slip in world rankings

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: UK universities slip in world rankings

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:
quasimodo wrote: .... yet we still look to see where certain Universities are, depending on what you are looking for.
I don't.
Nor me, though I see the one I am currently at is doing OK. I tell you what - my experience of 'student services' there sucks; you wouldn't want to need pastoral care as a youngster just away from home. And another high ranker left DD and me deeply unimpressed recently with the way it dealt with her application - even though in the end they offered her the moon and stars. Which she enjoyed turning down. As Stroller said, choose the best fit. Within reason. :D
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

"Britain’s top universities are relying on their reputation and ‘designer label’ to get undergraduates through the door, and not on the quality of the educational experience they provide."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/20 ... nd-relyin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Amber

Post by Amber »

Catseye wrote:"Britain’s top universities are relying on their reputation and ‘designer label’ to get undergraduates through the door, and not on the quality of the educational experience they provide."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/20 ... nd-relyin/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I wonder whether it is of any relevance that the university of which the author of this article is Vice-chancellor comes 103rd in the most recent university rankings. I am no fan of them as you know, but it is worth being aware that many factors contribute to an opinion.
Carolestress

Post by Carolestress »

Metrics are useful for gauging a universities standing relative to another's. To say they are irrelevant is old school thinking.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

'Metrics' are only useful if the 'scale' is clear and accepted e.g. the metre.

League tables do not have a common format or a common way of measuring ie they are valueless.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Carolestress wrote:Metrics are useful for gauging a universities standing relative to another's.
I know you are an avid supporter of "metrics" please could you explain what this means in plain English so even a dimwit like myself could understand.

I'm easily confused.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now