University moving list

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
moved

Re: University moving list

Post by moved »

Bumblebeez wrote:DD pined for the dogs far more than for her sisters. She took to detouring through a park to get the chance of patting dogs out for walks.
DS and his 'flat' or corridor have found the 'cat' pub in Bristol. They visit because they need their fix of pets. Apparently, a lot of their time is spent sharing pictures of their own pets and discussing how much they miss them.
KB

Post by KB »

A friend was talking about 'borrow my doggy ' web based dog sharing community. I,d seen it before but they were particularly positive about it.

It seems to have decent reviews but I have no personal experience and obviously (again) individuals would need to be careful about personal safety.

There's also the question of thinking it's ok for the 'agency' to in effect be making money out of the 'volunteer' dog walkers.

So not recommending, more just flagging up.
copella

Post by copella »

Just took ds back after a weekend home and as well as stocking up with food I bought him a cheap shoe rack from Argos as his shoes were ending up every where. Also not sure if already posted but toilet rolls seem to be a good buy as well. His grandmother bought him a huge box of teabags which went down well with flat mates and is still going strong.
Amber

Post by Amber »

We have been looking for ingenious solutions to providing a towel rail in a room without one and a ban on affixing anything to a wall. I did send DD back with one of those things some people use for drying clothes over a radiator, but she isn't allowed to put it on the heater thing in her room either so is having to hook it over the wardrobe, which is a bit tall for the purpose.

The things she was most keen to take back with her after visiting were fresh fruit from the garden and eggs from the chickens. :D
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Could you get a plug in electric towel rail?

My latest purchase is a plug in electric boot drier which has been a godsend for wet rugby boots...I am recommending them to everyone (completely unrelated to this thread, I know) but I even patted it just now and told it what a good buy it was....!! :lol:
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

I wandered past a plug-in clothes airer in Lakeland the other day and wondered whether it might be cheaper to run than our (incredibly ancient) tumble dryer. I've just checked online, however, and spotted they aren't cheap!

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/around-the-ho ... nd-airers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Those indoor electric ones have very poor reviews and are very inefficient.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

DD used her floor (usually) or the door to her en suite :roll: :lol:
We have one of the Lakeland electric ones. It's OK but I would think expensive for a student room and would make the room very hot & steamy. Dries things best if you put a duvet cover over the whole lot, but not sure how safe that is!
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

also best to check on what students are billed on.
In my DD's room they have to pay for electricity, everything else though including heating from plumbed radiators is included.

she does have one of those standard folding cloths airier things.

As an aside, when we were shown around the college on a post offer open day, we persuaded the student showing us around to show us her room, and spread over the floor seemed to be the place where she kept most of her cloths.

Have told DD that if she ever decides to show people around to make sure her room is tidy :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now