University moving list

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: University moving list

Post by hermanmunster »

One of the Durham colleges:
You will probably share a twin room for one term in your first year: this is an excellent way to make friends, especially in the early days. Otherwise, you'll occupy your own single study bedroom which is completely linked to the University network and internet - just bring your PC and we will plug you in! We hope to be able to provide you with two years' accommodation in College - in your first and in your final year. As a finalist you may even have the opportunity to live in an en-suite room.
I gather they change rooms so that people may have their "sharing term" in any of the three terms
Previously, roughly a third of first years shared rooms, however, now less than a quarter of students will share a room. The College has been working to 'de-couple' as many student bedrooms as possible over recent years, but some of shared student rooms do remain. However, sharing a room can be great fun,
Their emphasis not mine! I shared for a term in a student house in London and hated it
KS10

Post by KS10 »

DS wanted laid-back Collingwood but got Hatfield. Seems happy though.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

KS10 wrote:DS wanted laid-back Collingwood but got Hatfield. Seems happy though.
Have heard good reports of Hatfield - am sure he will have great time
KB

Post by KB »

The majority at collegiate universities seem to get very attached to their college so am sure he'll soon be delighted with it.
Even if any room mate is difficult to get along with its not so bad if you know it's only for a term.
Hope he has a great time.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Thanks
catcool

Post by catcool »

My daughter was at Hatfield and had a great time. Very central to the town centre . Some of the rooms have wonderful views of the cathedral although can be noisy when the bells are ringing for a church service .
She shared for the first year. It was for the whole year and not just a term . The room she had at Hatfield was old (listed I think) and can't be divided up into single rooms The college try and marry you up with someone of similar interests. My DD kept on good terms with her room mate but did not share a flat with her for her second and third /3 years .
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Think we're nearly there with all the bits :shock: DD has got her own room with en-suite so very happy there, however will have to clean her own room - the cleaners will only do the communal spaces. Bought cleaning products today, not a lot just enough, however I do wonder if they will actually be used ... one can hope :roll: :lol:
Heartmum x x x
KB

Post by KB »

Check if she needs to take her own shower curtain - we did.
Also, nowhere for toiletries so we got a basket type thing that hangs in shower.
Also a plastic (camping) clothes dryer - hook on the top and peg like things around. Very small & light. For hanging bras and tights in shower after hand washing . You can also get lines with suction pads at each end.
En suite didn't dry out so something to hang towel on in bedroom so it's not still damp the next day....
Loo brush ( none provided for DC).
Loo roll!!
Tiny bathroom bin or bin with lid for bedroom.
Ally

Post by Ally »

Student bank account opened but somehow linked to previous account so the name on DS's bank card is Master. If he's old enough to have a driving licence he's a Mr.
Can't change the details online so DS's challenge is to go into the branch and get his details amended and get a new card issued
KB

Post by KB »

Interesting with all the gender self identifying issues that the bank even use gender specific titles and certainly without double checking.