What to wear for a university interview?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catseye

What to wear for a university interview?

Post by Catseye »

Formal(suit and tie), smart formal(no tie), smart informal( shirt, smart pants and polished shoes) or informal( just got out of bed, student look) ?

And for the ladies?
scary mum

Re: What to wear for a university interview?

Post by scary mum »

I would say smart formal or smart informal for both, but then I'm old fashioned! With a nod to the other thread probably best to avoid micro mini skirts to avoid wriggling when sitting down!
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

depends on the faculty - probably need to be slightly better dressed than the interviewer
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

hermanmunster wrote:depends on the faculty - probably need to be slightly better dressed than the interviewer
Indeed *remembers male lecturer in rainbow coloured cardigan*
scary mum
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

I would have said smart informal (I am stressing smart).
I feel that to attend a university interview with a suit without a tie might let him feel like a fish out of water if you see what I mean ( though I have no idea how students go to their interview at Oxbridge, where maybe a suit is not inappropriate. I am just speaking about the other universities, red brick ones included).
For sure, he needs clothes in which he feels really comfortable!

Good luck to your DS, Catseye! :wink:
KB

Post by KB »

You should feel comfortable so if you never wear a suit it's maybe not a good time to start.
The most important thing is to look like you have made an effort - clean, pressed clothes and clean shoes! Washed hair and either no facial hair or trimmed beard.
If at all possible a collared shirt, trousers other than jeans and shoes rather than trainers is my usual advice. Add a smart ( what we used to call "sports jacket") jacket if available.

My DCs were all at a 6th form where suits were the regular attire so they just wore them for Oxbridge interviews but that was some years ago.

Interviewers are supposedly trained not to take account of physical appearance but they are human so looking unkept is unlikely to give the impression that you care about the application and by implication that you will put effort into your studies.

For girls I would advise smart trousers because it avoids the skirt/ crossed legs issues and a top that isn't likely to gape or be revealing when bending forward etc. A shirt and jacket or cardigan is fine. It's just about making sure what you say is what is remembered so clothes should be understated and you don't want to be fiddling with them in the interview. ( Goes without saying? no bare mid riffs!)

Best wishes to everyone's DCs heading for interview season.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Out of curiosity, how many people actually get interviewed now? Are there any that habitually interview other than Oxbridge?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I think it often depends on the course. DD was offered 4 places without interview & one interview. This was for science. DS knows that at least one of the places he has applied to interviews.
scary mum
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

mike1880 wrote:Out of curiosity, how many people actually get interviewed now? Are there any that habitually interview other than Oxbridge?
For medicine and dentistry, there are definitely interviews. I do not know for other courses, but some other forumites can complete the list!
solimum

Post by solimum »

Manchester certainly liked to interview those they were planning to make an offer to (this is 5 years ago when DD was applying for Biochemistry) - I believe this was mainly to check that the applicants were genuine and could at least talk about the contents of their personal statement!

They also managed to arrange for sunshine in Manchester in late October!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now