Oxbridge info

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mad?

Re: Oxbridge info

Post by mad? »

KB wrote:What's encouraging from moved's post is that it provides examples of colleges recognising academic ability despite 'blips' in exam results to date. It would be interesting to know how these applicants managed to impress sufficiently in their applications to get to the test/ interview stage.
As far as individuals are concerned it's important not to see Oxbridge as some kind of holy grail. Without taking away from the achievement of those getting places it shouldn't be seen as the only way to judge success.
Agreed :)
mad?
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

moved wrote:DD's letter wend to Madrid, her old address. She emailed the college yesterday and they emailed her letter to her (wish they'd done that first) to offer her a place. Needless to say, she is over the moon.
Wonderful news. Being happy for you and your DD! Well done to her! :D

PS: I really do not know how I have missed this thread for ten days!
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Well done to your daughter - Best of Luck for the course
moved

Post by moved »

I think everyone recognises that great candidates get missed and Oxbridge openly acknowledge that. I think like vet school we should encourage our DC to try again if it is what they really want.

DD is very lucky and totally accepts that, and thanks you all for the good wishes. If she can ever take the ear to ear smile off for long enough she would say so herself.

i still keep smiling for her too.
KB

Post by KB »

I'm sure there was much more hard work than luck involved!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Absolutely. She was very brave to have another go after the first knock back. That was not lucky at all and all down to her.

When did she decide to have another go? Was it a big decision?

Did she change much about her application? Did she amend her personal statement? DG
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Daogroupie wrote:Absolutely. She was very brave to have another go after the first knock back. That was not lucky at all and all down to her.

When did she decide to have another go? Was it a big decision?

Did she change much about her application? Did she amend her personal statement? DG
From what I understand her first application was to Cambridge.So in one sense it was a first application.I know some of the courses are different so was she more suited this time round for this course ?
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
moved

Post by moved »

Those that I know well from DD's cohort who had another go were at or not far off the examples given who did not succeed.

One was told that he needed to think more independently when answering questions at interview. He was extremely well read, way beyond DD and anyone else of their age, but this in fact hampered him as he didn't realise that his own opinions were valid and required. The feedback from another was not to continue blindly with your own argument but to listen to those interviewing you and take their lead. Another put in the personal statement that he had addressed his own issues with lack of application to his studies due to finding school boring and unpleasant.

All worked extremely hard after their very good A2 results, continuing to read and making every effort to prepare themselves for both tests and interviews. All of the people that DD met were asked at interview what they had read since they wrote their personal statement and why. Many who were not accepted hadn't anything to add as they were studying at school and it's a tough time of year with coursework, etc.

There was a definite advantage to having the extra year but I do think that they want you to have improved significantly during that time. DD takes 'A level' equivalent classes in a French school in history and French literature. She also the teachers there to recommend suitable reading for her that was in addition to her classes. It certainly wasn't easy as she was also working as an English assistant in the school.

None were asked about their gap years. One only has a part time job in the local Tesco store.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now