more university places for home students

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loobylou

Re: more university places for home students

Post by loobylou »

There are rumours that there will be a significant number of medical school places available through clearing. There were places at St George's last summer as well.
I think the extra 500 places kick in next year.
I think it reflects students being increasingly sensible about not going for medicine because of the so-called "prestige". It's a crap job at the moment with no signs of it improving - but people who desperately want to do it are the people who should be doing it, not those whose parents will boast about it.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

loobylou wrote:There are rumours that there will be a significant number of medical school places available through clearing. There were places at St George's last summer as well.
I think the extra 500 places kick in next year.
I think it reflects students being increasingly sensible about not going for medicine because of the so-called "prestige". It's a crap job at the moment with no signs of it improving - but people who desperately want to do it are the people who should be doing it, not those whose parents will boast about it.
Good news for those who really want to do medicine.

5 or 6 years to get degree, huge students debts and then upto 10 years of really hard work to gain Consultant status @ starting salary of around £75K pa (i.e. if they get job - many may be out of job for years after completing specialty training).
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes...it is a shame that so many of the general public and politicians etc do not give them the respect they deserve...
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Yes...it is a shame that so many of the general public and politicians etc do not give them the respect they deserve...
I have been shouted at 3 times this week by patients. (And I'd done nothing wrong. I never let things like that get me down but I was quite teary after one rant yesterday). Sigh.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

loobylou wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:Yes...it is a shame that so many of the general public and politicians etc do not give them the respect they deserve...
I have been shouted at 3 times this week by patients. (And I'd done nothing wrong. I never let things like that get me down but I was quite teary after one rant yesterday). Sigh.
Quite disgraceful , we reap what what we sow .

Litigation is destroying the medical profession. Medicine is an art and real skill and not a precise science.

Don't let barstewards grind you down !

btw I sometimes get doctors shouting at me but I appreciate it's the pressure they and their families are under when some nutter wants to take away one's reputation and livelihood from you but sometimes just sometimes the nutters may be right !
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Liverpool for medicine did not go to clearing in the end , St Georges has, grades AAA with UKCAT score > 500.

30+ years ago St Georges rejected me as my forth choice but Oxford accepted me , funny old world !
Amber

Post by Amber »

Someone we know dropped two grades and still got a place at first choice very prestigious London medical school.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I've heard of someone getting in with A-B-B, don't know which med school.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Gosh, they must have seriously impressed at interview and/or done well on the UKCAT/BMat or had extenuating circumstances...but generally I think if someone gets Bs and As in the sciences/maths and are the right character, they will cope with Medicine in ways that an A*/A candidate without the right character, won't. Put it this way, with 30% dropping off medical degrees, a third of those selected mainly by grades aren't right for it, so why not try a different recruitment approach?!
Last edited by kenyancowgirl on Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Catseye wrote:Liverpool for medicine did not go to clearing in the end , St Georges has, grades AAA with UKCAT score > 500.

30+ years ago St Georges rejected me as my forth choice but Oxford accepted me , funny old world !
I thought you were into Legal work.

Or are you Mr. Catseye?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now