University Realistic Costs ?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
logic32

University Realistic Costs ?

Post by logic32 »

Apologies for seemingly only coming on here to ask for help but I would be grateful for any input.

My DS has been to a few university open days ( for 2018 ) and was at Durham yesterday which he loved. But he obviously had too much time to think on the long train journey because he was a little distressed by the time he arrived home. He basically said he doesn't think he will be able to afford to go to university anymore.

Very briefly my husband and I are getting divorced and of course the financial situation has changed dramatically. Unfortunately his previously involved father has moved 100 miles away and not seen DS since December. His priorities are elsewhere at present !
We had saved enough to put both children through university but this will be lost in the divorce. He has also now given up his well paid job to pay us less money so I am not hopeful any help will be forthcoming from that direction.

My earnings are fairly basic and I am slightly confused about what if any help I can get DS financially.

On top of the approx £27,000 course fees which he will have to take out as a loan.
What are the rough estimates of housing / living costs ? Obviously this is dependent on whereabouts the university is but I am guessing £6000-£8000 pa. Are there other loans / grants he can take out ? Not that I want him to be overwhelmed with debt when he leaves but I don't want him to struggle to eat either.

DS currently has two small jobs and he is happy to work at university but what sort of amount will I need to find realistically ?

I will be looking into all this more carefully but have so many things going on right now, I was hoping I could give him some reassurance when he comes home.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Guest55

Re: University Realistic Costs ?

Post by Guest55 »

Look at the SFE website as he will be able to get out loans to cover much of the cost.

https://www.gov.uk/student-finance" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a calculator to see how much he could get.

Many students get part-time jobs if their courses allow. He could look at working over the summer to start saving.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

What sort of course will he be doing? It will make a difference whether he has time. Often science courses leave little time for paid work. My DD's accomodation was £6250 in her first year, do you need to add food costs etc too. I don't know the cost of accommodation in Durham As G55 says, look at the loans available to calculate what he could have. Some courses offer scholarships as well.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes, true re time for a job - my DS did Engineering and only worked in the summer.

The halls he stayed in are currently £5580.90 for 38 weeks catered non-ensuite.
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Thanks Guest55 that's a really useful link. Thanks scary mum for the advice too.

So DS would be eligible for a maintenance loan of £8300 as well. He was told yesterday accommodation costs would be around £7000. So I am trying to work out what his day to day living costs would be. I am sure between us we could cover these, he is not extravagant in any way but I don't know what is a realistic amount to budget.

I hate the thought that he will leave with over £50,000 of debt. Trying very hard not to get angry that he has been left in this position !

It will be some form of history degree, he has always been obsessed. How much use that will be going forward - who knows ? But it is very much what he wants to do and I will support him all the way.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

£7000 sounds a lot! Maybe explore other unis that are cheaper and nearer home?
tense

Post by tense »

Logic32 - just to give you a quick idea of costs. In my DD's first year she spent just over £7,500 - this included the loan, but the rest was a combination of funds from us / her summer holiday earnings / grandparents. But in her second year (just finished) she spent £9,300. The increase was largely due to having to rent a property over the summer. I think accommodation costs of £7,000 seem high - perhaps that was for the 'best' rooms?

On the bright side, her friends doing courses such as history found it easy to hold down part time jobs.

Good luck - I hope your DS isn't put off.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Echo what has been said above. He will be eligible for the loans and then will make up what help he needs with part time work or holiday jobs. It is perfectly doable, for example DD is at Durham and works in the holidays to earn the extra (that IS needed). we contribute £150 a month towards her accommodation (we thought we would need to) and she is managing to save that (grrr why didn't we research it more?). One of her flatmates is in a similar situation to you and gets a higher maintenance loan as a result which more than makes up for the lack of parental contribution. A friend's son is a Liverpool and gets an additional bursary such that he does not need to work at all. It is daunting for them but in short if he works in the holidays he should be fine, and given the extra loan he should be eligible for, or even a bursary, he might not need to do as much as others. I appreciate it is not what you had planned but despite having a fair few posh mates DD and all her friends will have that debt, if is very rare (IME) for parents to fund it. Good luck.

ETA DD's accommodation at Durham was about £6700 per year but that included 3 meals a week day and 2 per day at weekends, ensuite room etc. DO think about food, DD2 is looking at Brookes where the accommodation costs a little more but does not include meals :roll: Also, think about how expensive the city is. EG Durham has quite expensive accommodation ( I am led to believe) but everything else is dirt cheap. I can't find it but there was a survey recently abut which universities were the most expensive hat included the costs of student night life etc so that might be worth trawling for. From what I remember Newcastle was cheapest and Edinburgh most expensive.
Last edited by mad? on Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mad?
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Yes it does sound a lot compared to scary mum's and yours especially if that is for catered.

To be honest Durham requires very high grades and although he is more than capable, this year has been disrupted to say the least, and he has slipped somewhat, so unfortunately his chances of being offered a place are lower than they were anyway.

I've been trying to steer him towards Warwick, much closer and slightly lower entry requirements. But we will have to see what happens.

Tense and Mad, thank you so much, that is really useful information.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

£6250 wasn't catered! I think universities in the south are more expensive. DS1 is about to go to university & his accommodation is about £135 per week if I remember correctly (self catering, 42 week contract, at university for 30 weeks max). In the second & third years the costs per week tend to be lower, but the contract is usually for 51 or 52 weeks. It is doable, and I would say getting a job would be fine for a history student, where the contact time would be quite low.
scary mum