Physics Degree - Any Help, Information or Advice Welcome

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Pumpkin Pie

Re: Physics Degree - Any Help, Information or Advice Welcome

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Physics degree at Durham or St. Andrews. Does anyone have any experience, or their DC, of studying at either place?
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

DS is in his second year at Durham and loves it - I think it is the college system which he likes so much. Last year he was able to try out so many different things and although he is living out this year he still goes back into college frequently - mainly cos he is in the rowing squad so goes back to train, and he sings in the chapel choir.

He seems quite happy with the department too - are there any specific questions you would like answered?
KB

Post by KB »

St Andrews is pretty isolated. Many graduates love their time there but you should definitely visit and if possible spend a few days to get a feel for living there and also think through logistics.
I know of some who struggled with the perception of being difficult to get home.
marigold

Post by marigold »

DD in third year at St Andrews and so far has loved every minute. It is very small , essentially three streets, but that was exactly what she wanted. Today she has sent me photos of a wonderful blustery walk on the beach.
Upsides include access to endless mountains, Scottish Islands, coastal walks and a very international student body.
Downsides include a rather small and expensive pool of accommodation for when they leave halls, almost double the price of what I paid for my eldest DD in Bristol.
We live half an hour from Stansted, most of her trips home the flights ( from Edinburgh and she can book a door to airport bus at beginning and end of terms) have cost less than a peak hour return from our local station into Liverpool Street and with the number of bus replacement services we seem to be having at the moment, have taken not much longer.