Pretty towns with universities

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loobylou

Re: Pretty towns with universities

Post by loobylou »

hermanmunster wrote:
streathammum wrote:I went to UCL (although quite a few years ago :roll: ) and it does have a pretty quad off Gower Street, but most of the faculty buildings are scattered around the area so the feel isn't particularly cohesive. I was in student halls in Camden in my first and last years, which were fine, but the middle year I was in a total hovel in Manor House (don't know how the rats and cockroaches put up with it, given there was no central heating - maybe they liked the fumes that vented into our kitchen from the kebab shop underneath?), and I can't imagine things have got much easier on the London property front in the last 20 years.

:lol: :lol: - I was a bit further up the tube line and lived over a kosher butcher's shop in Stamford Hill. Agree UCL is mainly scattered buildings with not very much in the main building.

Having said that there were some interesting buildings nearby like the Jeremy Bentham pub which was inside the bleep range of the hospital, some section of the security services who had the next building along at the top of Gower Street and The Magic Circle which was based in a back street behind the med school
I was there too though also lived in a hovel one year (4th) in Finsbury Park and slightly less hovel-ish in my second year in Willesden Green. I had a couple of years in halls in Camden Town too...
I spent most of my time in the Huntley Street bar as far as I remember, rather than the far more expensive Jeremy Bentham!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

loobylou wrote: I was there too though also lived in a hovel one year (4th) in Finsbury Park and slightly less hovel-ish in my second year in Willesden Green. I had a couple of years in halls in Camden Town too...
I spent most of my time in the Huntley Street bar as far as I remember, rather than the far more expensive Jeremy Bentham!
Oh yes the Huntley Street bar :oops:

ho ho actually I still think of the Jeremy Bentham by its original name of Duke of Wellington (or the Welly) - they changed it sometime in the early 80's for some reason that escapes me.

The UCL halls were not great... :?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

One of DS1's friends apparently took one look at Kent and decided that it was there or nothing (probably a relief to his parents, as next on the shortlist was Hull :lol: ). Fortunately, he got in.

I was at LSE (which has spread a little since my day but is still fairly compact). Nice area and accommodation not a problem for me as I wasn't a school leaver and DH and I had a flat to ourselves, conveniently located in Camberwell, moving to Lewisham at the end of my second year (I had already had the 'hovel experience' as a student nurse, although to be fair, both of my hovels would have been absolutely fine had they only had central heating. And windows which fitted their frames :roll: ).
Last edited by ToadMum on Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Loving Oxford, biased as my DC is here, having the excuse to visit and do a bit of shopping/eating out has been fab and my DC loves it as they get a free meal/treats when we go.
Heartmum x x x
Amber

Post by Amber »

Funny you should say that TM. One of DS1’s friends was interested in LSE until he was told that you have to pay extra for a room with a window at one of the main first year residences!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I went to UKC, Rutherford College has amazing views over the city and cathedral. Plus, you get to walk through the cloisters into the Cathedral when you graduate.
solimum

Post by solimum »

You are all so young! I graduated (and married!) in 1985. DS1 has just turned 30......
doodles

Post by doodles »

DH was Keynes but graduated in 1985 :shock:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

ToadMum wrote:One of DS1's friends apparently took one look at Kent and decided that it was there or nothing (probably a relief to his parents, as next on the shortlist was Hull :lol: ). Fortunately, he got in.
Kent was on son's list and I'd happily have gone there myself but he actually preferred Hull...the bits of Hull old town the Luftwaffe missed are very picturesque (as long as you don't look at the sludgy river) and the halls are in a lovely area! Also quite cheap...I wouldn't argue it should be added to this list though :lol:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

solimum wrote:You are all so young! I graduated (and married!) in 1985. DS1 has just turned 30......
First degree in 1981, second and third in 1984 :oops: :oops: ... now where is my bus pass?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now