Pretty towns with universities

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Twinkle

Re: Pretty towns with universities

Post by Twinkle »

Guest55 wrote:
ToadMum wrote:On the subject of totally barking - Cheese Rolling (Cooper's Hill, approx 1 in 2 gradient, near Gloucester, late May bank holiday) 8) .
My hall of residence actually organised an evening out at Ottery for us naive freshers ...
Mine too, G55 !! 1982 ( Moberley) . I remember the trip well. A very unique tradition. I couldn't believe that anyone who wanted appeared to be allowed to take over a burning barrel and run through the crowds!! It was terrifying. I wonder whether H&S have reined it in over the last 35 years?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Twinkle wrote:Mine too, G55 !! 1982 ( Moberley) . I remember the trip well. A very unique tradition. I couldn't believe that anyone who wanted appeared to be allowed to take over a burning barrel and run through the crowds!! It was terrifying. I wonder whether H&S have reined it in over the last 35 years?
Have you seen they are demolishing Moberley to update it? We stayed in Ottery a few years back for a uni reunion - I don't think the tradition has changed - there are youtube videos showing the 'spectacle'.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Yes. :( I was delighted by my small barely decorated breeze block room in Moberley having shared a room with my sister for my childhood. However I guess the rooms don't now meet the expectations of 21st century students. Sadly when I went to a reunion with friends last year somehow I didn't make it to Moberley. I had hoped that one of my DC might want to go an Open Day so I could go and take a look before it was demolished, but they have resisted Exeter so far :roll: They don't know what they are missing.

When were you there ?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Twinkle wrote:... When were you there ?
Before you :lol: I am ancient .. I did not get the halls I wanted [UCCA messed up my offer acceptance] and ended up in Lopes then Lafrowda [my block is still there but the block where my OH was is gone].
Our group had a student showing us round the new buildings - the trees inside the new Student Forum were amazing. Seeing a Costa on campus shows how student life has changed!
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Age is but a number G55 :)
I never went inside Lopes but I spent sometime in Lawfrowda. I didn't realise that was coming down too - again too many breeze blocks. Yes some real changes on campus but it has been a long time. A fabulous place to live and study. The children of quite a few of my Exeter friends have since studied there - their parents were obviously better at waxing lyrical than me. I will keep trying with remaining DC...
mad?

Post by mad? »

Neither of my DDs went to Exeter but I must say of the (2 :oops: sorry I loathe them) open days I attended it was by far the most appealing. Lovely guide, £2 train fare to the beach and loads of exceptionally delicious food trucks for lunch. Yum! My bestie went there and lived in Topsham, blagging fresh mackerel from the fishermen for supper. Sounded great to me, but then that was (ahem) 35 years ago :oops:
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now