Be very afraid

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: Be very afraid

Post by Amber »

The appointment of this individual has actual made me madder than all the cr*p we have taken from this corrupt and undemocratic government over the last couple of years. I don't know why but this feels like some kind of watershed to me - all doubt is now removed that nothing is fair here any more. There were decent, well-qualified candidates for this job. Why did he get it? Someone needs holding to account for this and, more to the point, he needs firing before he even starts. There is no point teaching kids to work hard and get decent qualifications if bigots like this can be appointed to top positions on ideological grounds.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I totally agree with you. This is one such appointment which any government (Tory, Lib-Dems or Labour) can do without.
Amber

Post by Amber »

tiffinboys wrote:I totally agree with you.
Let's enjoy that rare moment TB! :) :)
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Just more of the same old squalid, self-serving worst face of the Conservative Party which always seems to surface after a short spell of lip service to "opportunity" and "one nation" get them into power.

I was accused of pushing "the politics of envy" back in 2010 when I grumbled that a government composed of multi-millionaires couldn't be expected to understand or represent the interests and needs of the wider population. So now we have homeless people dying on the streets this winter (homeless by choice according to the leader of Windsor council - guess which party? It's almost unnecessary to add that he's on a skiing holiday while this is going on), food banks, yet another NHS crisis and 25% of the country classed as living in poverty. Well, remember that most of you voted for this (probably not you Amber!) and don't pretend that it wasn't entirely predictable.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Amber wrote:
tiffinboys wrote:I totally agree with you.
Let's enjoy that rare moment TB! :) :)
Such moments have come before too. I agree with your views about early schooling too. :wink:
Amber

Post by Amber »

mike1880 wrote: Well, remember that most of you voted for this (probably not you Amber!)
Probably?! I consider myself insulted!
piggys

Post by piggys »

I have never voted for austerity and never will.

If you did then please do not ever complain about the NHS ;or your child in the state sector being taught in a bigger class by a less qualified teacher. You voted for exactly that.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I suspect most of us did not vote for this party. Those who did are directly responsible for the current state of the NHS and really cannot complain - though funnily enough mostly seem to be ones that do complain. A lot.

There is a petition that I don't know how to link to calling for TY's sacking. I don't normally sign petitions but I have signed this one. I think if you google change dot org then you will be able to find it?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Toby Young is loathsome and the notion that he has sway over the higher education that young people undertake is horrifying.

His previous public comments, articles and tweets would cast doubt on his suitability for a job as a teaching assistant, yet this government deems him competent for a top role in HE. Total madness.
Last edited by streathammum on Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber

Post by Amber »

loobylou wrote:There is a petition that I don't know how to link to calling for TY's sacking. I don't normally sign petitions but I have signed this one. I think if you google change dot org then you will be able to find it?
I have signed one too but I now note that there are at least two doing the rounds. :?
I can't imagine that it will change anything - all the Tory worthies are lining up to get their photos taken with him (Gove, Johnson, Patel). The latter should be rather concerned as his comments about photos of women tend to be somewhat over-focussed on the chest area. Or in a couple of cases somewhat lower down. I note he has now had to take down around 30K tweets as they do not comply with the high standards of taste and decency normally expected of government officials. Must be really bad then.

I think that is the link.

https://www.change.org/p/theresa-may-mp ... chdog-post" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now