Lecturers strikes

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MrsChubbs

Lecturers strikes

Post by MrsChubbs »

Anyone's DC's losing lectures due to this?
Amber

Re: Lecturers strikes

Post by Amber »

Yes.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

No, according to a statement on the UoB website. DS1 being in his final year, I must admit that checking this was almost the first thing I did this morning.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mad?

Post by mad? »

Yes, final year, lectures and contact time for dissertation lost, latter due in before Easter break...grr...oh memories of the three day week, strikes and my O levels and more recently using up my annual leave to cover NUT strikes at the kids' primary. It was ever thus, but imagine having a pension big enough to be able to cut it by £10K per year! How other half live. Who knew? :shock:
mad?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

No, neither of mine.
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

It is currently mainly the more 'traditional/old/RG+' universities which are involved. Some more are planning to join in next week if a solution isn't found, though I gather some VCs have now come out publicly to support the lecturers which could lead to a breakthrough. As both a parent of a DC affected and also someone whose colleagues are striking, I can see both sides here.

This is an interesting take on it:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... e-colleges" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Do students get refunds on the fees they have paid, when strikes are on?
Amber

Post by Amber »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Do students get refunds on the fees they have paid, when strikes are on?
No.

Some students are apparently planning to sue. Some universities are apparently putting the money saved by not paying lecturers into a hardship fund for students.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

DS quite happy as he has missed 2 mid-term tests, which the lecturers are sending out to them with the mark schemes so they can use them during the Easter Break before end of year exams. He thinks that will be more useful anyway, as not a lot of revision has happened for them anyway!
petit-pois

Post by petit-pois »

Ds1 is at a RG Uni and has missed quite a few lectures and also contact time for his final project, as well as 1-1 contact due to his SEN. I'm astounded with the huge fees charged by the Unis and huge salaries paid to lecturers that they cant find another way to sort their disputes! :evil:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now