Difference between 2:1 and first honours degree

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yoyo123

Re: Difference between 2:1 and first honours degree

Post by yoyo123 »

I got a 2:2.
We had 1 person on our (cross faculty) course who got a 2:1.the first to get this on the course. He went on to get PhD and do post doctoral research at Cambridge.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

A "Desmond" for me too, yoyo. Two firsts on my course.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/univer ... ifications" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

Dear all, Thank you so much for all the information. All of you on this forum are so helpful. I now have a better idea.
The master's course also asks for GMAT/GRE scores. To begin with, I have zero knowledge of both these tests. Where to start? which one is better? Are they like 11+, in the sense one is expected to prepare or like the ukmt tests where no prep is required? Please let me know.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I am assuming that you have no access to Google? There is rather a lot of information online about these tests - might be worth you or your DC having a look at them and then asking any specific questions for which they cannot find the answers....
avidskier

Post by avidskier »

Hi Berks mum,
These are both American tests and are required of anyone in the US wanting to do a post graduate course in either business related subjects (they take the GMAT) or a general post graduate (GRE). They have also got medicine and law specific tests for those wanting to do those subjects for example..
I took the GMAT many moons ago (several decades), and found it to be far easier than the GRE, but maybe that is just me! Definitely something you can prep for and would highly recommend that you buy some books.
Also worth noting that if you are going down this route then you have to do some careful planning as the tests can only be taken on certain fixed dates of the year in designated test centres.
If you can avoid taking them I would as they are time consuming to prep for and are expensive (I don’t think UK universities generally require these? But US students would have taken them as a matter of course if they were applying to US universities). There are lots of prep courses (also online ones) but many are quite expensive. Khan Academy might have some free prep though. Good luck!
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

avidskier,
First, thank you very much for your response. I am helping out someone with a high interest in research and a solid first degree to choose a masters course. While looking at UK unis (UCL,LSE) we saw there were two masters: Msc and MRes. MRes required GMAT/GRE + Research proposal + First Honours.

Did you find all GRE subjects easier or just the Maths/non Maths?

Are there any prep courses better than others? Someone mentioned Kaplan and Manhattan prep. Any idea?

I will check Khan Academy and timeline for the exams.
avidskier

Post by avidskier »

I found the Maths on GMAT was much easier back in the day when I took it. As I hadn’t done any maths at undergraduate (law in the U.K. ) I found that by the time I wanted to enter a US graduate school I had only a vague recollection of higher level Maths (never a strong point to begin with!).
Sorry I can’t comment on which prep courses are best but as not many U.K. students take the GRE (compared with the number that take the SAT) my guess is there will not be a huge number to choose from.
Kaplan is the traditional provider but that is all I would know..
Sorry I can’t be of more help!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now