changing insurance UNI offer

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
silverysea

changing insurance UNI offer

Post by silverysea »

So, dd has 3 offers all the same grades. really fretting that one is going to be a little too low, new syllabus, etc etc.

I now understand (as a foreigner) that she has already chosen her "firm" and "insurance"- and she says that means the third offer is gone. Really? How terrible.

Yet we know that in previous years people have certainly got in on occasion with less than the offer grades, especially in this sort of circumstance and subject, and you should ring up and ask before result day t try to find out how lenient they are likely to be, or have been in the past.

My question now is, were she to find out that perhaps the one she dropped is more lenient, is it possible to switch them round or retrieve the lost offer.
hermanmunster

Re: changing insurance UNI offer

Post by hermanmunster »

I think they are pretty strict on not changing at this stage, there is always the option of phoning after results to see if a) they have any places b) they would accept the grades
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Universities get the A level results about a week before students do. They then go through every candidate accepting those with the grades and looking at the near misses until places are full. They do often take lower grades as they then get someone who wanted to go there in the first place but no-one can guarantee this year's picture.

If your 'firm' rejects you then the insurance uni will look at the results and the process is repeated. On results day your child will be able to log into Track and see what has happened [usually they do this before coming into school to get results]; sometimes unis will e-mail as well.

If you are rejected by both unis you get a clearing number and can look at what uni places are still available. If you decide you do not want your firm or insurance then you have to ask to be released into clearing and this can take time.

Hope that helps :D
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

How long ago did your DD officially declare her decision re her Firm and Insurance universities?

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate ... pplication

Changed your mind about your replies?
Here’s what to do if you change your mind:

If you accepted your offers in the last 14 days, contact one of our advisers to make any changes to your replies.
If it’s been more than 14 days since you replied to your offers, there is a more detailed process you need to follow. As you’ve agreed to a contract with your chosen unis, it may be possible, but we are unable to guarantee you can change them. You’ll need to speak to them about changing your replies, and then call us, to let us know what you want to do.
No reply swaps are possible after 19 July 2018.
8)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

Even if it's within the time period to change relatively easily there is the problem of knowing if the previously rejected university would be more lenient than the held offers universities if your DD just misses the offer grades.
She isn't going to get a straight answer by asking them, not least because they don't know themselves - as detailed above.

It sounds a bit like last minute nerves - quite understandable at a time of high pressure.
Perhaps she is better just sticking with her previous choices and focussing on doing as well as she can in the exams.

She should make sure she knows what to do on results day if she doesn't get either offer confirmed on UCAS. Most schools have staff available to help with this. I would suggest - after the exams- you get her to talk you through it too so you can be as supportive as possible should the situation arise.
franticmum

Post by franticmum »

Hi Silverysea. As your DD is going for veterinary, I don't think the previous comments about going through clearing will apply as most want to take vet students on interviews, work experience, etc (as you know) and have stated that they don't do clearing, adjustment, etc. Not sure a) if you applied to Bristol and b) whether they would entertain clearing as they didn't do interviews this year but did have the work experience form. My gut feeling would be that they still wouldn't go for clearing for vet students as it is quite a long process and bearing in mind, they were still undecided on offers for people as late as April, then I don't think they would have the time plus they were inundated this year so I imagine there could be a few people who have been rejected which they could still offer to, if they did better in their exams. Obviously, I am guessing.

My advice would be to sit tight as they were all the same offer. Presumably she dismissed the 3rd offer place for a reason and is more comfortable with her firm and insurance as the places she wants to go to. Bearing in mind some prospective vet students get one or no offers at all, she's in a good place with the two still. Good luck.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Thanks all. She apparently discussed this with dh and did choose carefully the favourite (Edinburgh) and the insurance (Liverpool) and reluctantly has to drop Bristol since they are only allowed the two. She is going to be kicking herself for taking music if it prevents her getting a place but we are hoping they will all be in the same boat with a new syllabus and really she couldn’t have done more to do well. After all, all that extracurricular work on top of the basic exam prep shows how she can juggle and still get (so far) good grades, and stay in fairly good form which is a good trait for a vet. She will go into school on results day, the teachers will indeed be there and also able to organise emergency remarks. Then failing that, it’s maybe resit and definitely re-apply, and also apply to Eatern Europe as you can get in with lower marks. I’d rather she was a year older if she’s doubg that, she’s still 17 to the very end of the summer.

I tried to tell her that music clearly enhances her life and she truly does enjoy playing and has reabhes a high standard that will always be with her. By hook or by crook she will take vet med if that’s what she wants, she’s got the ability and enough experience of the downsides to make a sensible choice.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

She should be able to find out where she stands through Track before she goes into school. Teachers will know her results before she goes in and some boards allow online access to grades too.