Computer Science Degree Guidance Please

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hera

Re: Computer Science Degree Guidance Please

Post by Hera »

I would encourage a look at the University of Surrey at Guildford.
Thank you DC17C. I have asked DS to have a look and passed on your comments.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Hera wrote:
I would encourage a look at the University of Surrey at Guildford.
Thank you DC17C. I have asked DS to have a look and passed on your comments.
Dd was looking at CS for all her choices before going to the open day at Guildford. Current students sold it to her...it is worth having it as an option just to go to the open day for students with an offer of a place you get a much more in depth discussion with lecturers in small groups and get a good look round.
Cuddlermum

Post by Cuddlermum »

Hera wrote:Cuddlermum, DS is in the same position as your son was last year so this thread is really interesting. He wants to study Computer Science at University and is taking Computer Science, Physics, Maths and F Maths for A-Level but is finding it impossible to come up with a university short list. He likes the sound of Bristol, Warwick, Cambridge, Southampton, Imperial and Durham amongst lots of others. I will get him to look at UEA as I have been trying to get him to find options with slightly lower entry requirements. At the moment he is predicted 3A* and an A. Have you got an tips or words of advice. It would be interesting to know what your DS thought of other uni's he considered. Well done to your DS for getting such an amazing set of offers.
Thank you Hera. I have sent you a pm. As a family, we are new to the university application process but I can tell you how we have approached it. The universities you are looking at are all asking for entry grades of A*'s and A's, I believe, so higher than my ds was looking at, and possibly they are more theoretical courses, but I have detailed my thoughts in the pm to you so hope this will help.
DC17C wrote:I would encourage a look at the University of Surrey at Guildford. Dd has finally decided on their Course in Electronic engineering and computer systems rather than computer science as her firm offer. The intake is not huge, the teaching staff are incredibly enthusiastic and the opportunities to work on projects in the Space Centre look pretty amazing.
I really like the University of Surrey and we also looked into the Electronic Engineering Course with Computer Systems, as I wanted my ds to see if he would prefer that to pure Comp Science courses. I agree with DC17C, it all looked amazing, but wasn't what my ds wanted. The head of the CS department at Surrey was my personal favourite, but you shouldn't choose a course based on one academic (so I understand.).
kenyancowgirl wrote:I have to be honest, I would raise an eyebrow at a nearly 20% drop out rate....
Am hoping this is just a "blip" or an incorrect stat as student reviews for this course are very good. I guess you can go crazy looking at the stats?!
ToadMum wrote:Again not for Computer Science, but DD's offer from Birmingham was AAB, vs ABB from Leeds. Birmingham is one of the universities castigated for making 'unconditional if firmed' offers - departments participating in the scheme make these based on predicted grades of AAA (which DD has) and above and 'her' department apparently finds that most who accept such an offer make their predictions regardless. I don't know what percentage first class and 2:1 degrees Leeds awards, but again, Birmingham is also one of the universities recently castigated for awarding 'too many' of them. So no.
Thanks ToadMum, that's good to know. But someone elsewhere on this forum mentioned that degrees are awarded on a bell curve basis - not sure what this means, but the poster said his dd was competing against the other students for the grade (was referring to engineering at Cambridge I think, from memory).

Anyway, he decided to firm Leeds with Loughborough as insurance, so just the grades to get now!
Thanks again for all forum help and for the messages. Hopefully when it comes to DS2 turn, we will be a bit wiser to the university system and that will make it easier...
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

Regarding cambridge engineering bell curve. Not all degrees do it this way so probably wont effect you, but with engineering at cambridge, after the exams, they then sort all the results, roughly speeking, top 33% get 1st, next 42% get 2.1, next 17% get 2.2, next 5% get 3rd and the rest are kicked off the course (no retakes).
Cuddlermum

Post by Cuddlermum »

SteveDH wrote:Regarding cambridge engineering bell curve. Not all degrees do it this way so probably wont effect you, but with engineering at cambridge, after the exams, they then sort all the results, roughly speeking, top 33% get 1st, next 42% get 2.1, next 17% get 2.2, next 5% get 3rd and the rest are kicked off the course (no retakes).
Thank you SteveDH it was your quote I was referring to .

Thanks again for all your replies.
Now waiting on results but ds definitely veering towards the degree apprenticeship.