Which University courses boost graduates wages the most

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
timothylewin

Which University courses boost graduates wages the most

Post by timothylewin »

seeing we now are charged for the education their, makes sense to see best bang for the buck:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-44413086
SteveDH

Re: Which University courses boost graduates wages the most

Post by SteveDH »

Just a quick aside, after studying engineering, the people at DD university getting the highest wages are not the ones who then go on to do engineering but those that then go into finance, and the difference is quite significant.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes I looked at this; mathematically it is flawed as 'averages' distort the data.

Pick a course because you WANT to do it and pick a university that is suited to the career you want.

Also, money isn't everything - I could have earned a lot more outside teaching but would I have enjoyed it?

Anyone who takes this 'research' seriously is a fool.
doodles

Post by doodles »

As you may, or may not know, I'm a great believer in that it's not the name over the door but the course content that's important. So choose a uni the does the course you WANT to do - if you are happy you will learn and the final outcome will be better.

As G55 says money isn't everything, my first career was far more lucrative than my current one is but was far less enjoyable, in fact I would go so far as to say I really disliked it.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I must process that I generally dislike people who have a “chase the money” mentality. Do something because you enjoy it or love it and if it happens to pay well, this may be a bonus.

It is completely pointless going to a university just for the name if you would hate your time there - and believe me I have met many students whose revolting parents pushed them to go somewhere or study something they really didn’t want to. They were miserable - they are miserable - and money isn’t going to change that.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

Yes, I've encouraged my DD to stick to what she likes instead of following many of her friends who are heading off to Banks..

Also remember not to Judge a job by its title. She pretty much applied to any grad scheme that accepted her area of study, then when she recently got a call back offering her a new interview date (she had to reject about 4 interview offers as they fell on days she was having her final exams, 3 just said hard luck apply next year) for a job she'd applied to well before Christmas, she looked up the job title and said it looked very booring according to Wikipedia, however when she managed to dig up the proper job description (it had vanished from the company site as it was no longer on offer, but was still on the page of an obscure careers site) it was a load more interesting, and when she went and got shown around etc ticked most of her boxes.
Amber

Post by Amber »

A very depressing concept, the whole thing, as well as being an impossible thing to measure . How about looking at things that really do make life worthwhile?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Amber wrote:A very depressing concept, the whole thing, as well as being an impossible thing to measure . How about looking at things that really do make life worthwhile?
But what if merely knowing that a certain course, going on what yesterday's graduates earn today, is top of some earnings league table, is enough to make studying it the most desirable thing in the world for you? Then you must be happy, surely? However boring etc the content is, or uncongenial your surroundings and your fellow students :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

ToadMum wrote:
Amber wrote:A very depressing concept, the whole thing, as well as being an impossible thing to measure . How about looking at things that really do make life worthwhile?
But what if merely knowing that a certain course, going on what yesterday's graduates earn today, is top of some earnings league table, is enough to make studying it the most desirable thing in the world for you? Then you must be happy, surely? However boring etc the content is, or uncongenial your surroundings and your fellow students :) .
You're right, of course. Though equally I could just advise my children to hang around stately homes in their best clothes hoping to meet and wow minor royals, with the ambition of marrying into old money and getting rich that way. Similarly rewarding, I imagine.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

You know what's really depressing? The added extra is more for men than for women on most courses.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now