University Visits.

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mad?

Re: University Visits.

Post by mad? »

I think (as evidenced on this thread) there are lots of ways to do this (or not). My top tips wold be be wary of parents with lists (actually be wary of parents with lists in life in general is probably good advice) as the outcome of any interaction with them will be to make you feel inadequate. Either way, get DC to do lots of internet research first and save themselves time an money as a result. OH and I did one each with DD1, then she did one alone. She ended up accepting her first choice (which was one she had not originally visited) after attending an offer holders day and is (hopefully) about to graduate having had unquestionably the best 3 years of her life. DD2 visited 4, alone. Much cheaper all round! DD1 would say that the visits were a waste of time other than to have been to any university to see what uni life is like. DD2 is studying architecture so she found the presentations about what was required in her portfolios useful, and felt the internet was sometimes a little vague about this. She also felt that the courses varied hugely and her preferences changed after the visits. This is an architecture specific point though.
My STRONG advice would be to try not to get too involved, as them questions etc but do not get in to a situation where they are asking you to make the choice for them. When they go, they need to know it is their decision and up to them to make it work. If they have a wobble, the last thing you (or they) need to is for them to think it is anyone's responsibility except their own. Good luck.
mad?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

silverysea wrote:dd1 refused to go to any. She had settled on her choice of career (vet med) and was fully occupied getting the grades and the extremely heavy work experience organised. She went to 3 interviews and one offer holders day. I was a bit surprised but it seemed to make sense as she would be happy with any offer from any UK vet school, and her A level choices meant that there were only 5 anyway. We really don't have time for that sort of thing and felt we had done enough of looking at schools and sixth forms (and helping at open days) over the years to be unimpressed by the shtick.
DD (same course) is also happy to go anywhere that would take her. For some reason she has always fancied Edinburgh so we will take a visit there - no idea what captured her interest from the website but it is about the most inconvenient one she could choose as she is not interested in Glasgow. Much as I love the city, having lived there for a while, it would be logistically challenging and the vet school is a 45 min bus journey from the city. She did a taster at Cambridge, which she loved, so we are popping to Surrey straight after GCSEs as a comparison.
Lower 6th will be all about the grades and work experience
KS10

Post by KS10 »

DS went with friends to visit various universities, but I can’t imagine DD doing the same. I’ve said before that I’m not sure it’s for her, but should she decide to apply I think for her a gap year will be crucial.
tense

Post by tense »

My DD went down the extreme research route (covering 'sensible' & seemingly bizarre criteria) and then to a couple of generic open days before switching to post-offer visits (much more tailored & useful).

My DS said worrying things like 'all unis are the same' and would have been quite happy not to visit any. I (ahem) encouraged him to visit at least a couple - he chose two which he then made his firm & insurance choices :shock:

Although I agree with other posters about open days in general being overcrowded hard-sell cattle markets - I must say I really enjoyed spending time with my DC on our mini road trips :D
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes, I enjoyed the roads trips too, it was nice to spend time with them. Both my DCs changed their minds about courses after seeing some universities (not as a result, just an evolution of their ideas) but it was still useful. However, for both of them, in the end they put some universities down that they hadn't visited, just researched the course, and found the post offer visit days much more useful.
scary mum
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Similar experience to others here. DD did all the research on courses (MFL). We visited 5 open days in Year 12/13 and she discounted 2 as a result and applied to 2 unseen unis. Post-offer she visited the unseen ones (1 wanted to interview and is now her insurance choice) and re-visited the one that ended up being her firm choice.

DS is just finishing his GCSEs and we may try and visit a couple of local ones in the next few weeks. He’s interested in Engineering but not entirely sure which type of engineering so I think a few visits may help at this stage.

Although the open days are extremely busy, they really helped DD decide on courses and whether she wanted to spend 3/4 years in a particular place.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some Open Days were good with separate things for parents and smaller groups. Get your DD/DS to look at the programme ...
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:Some Open Days were good with separate things for parents and smaller groups. Get your DD/DS to look at the programme ...
Just don't let yourself or your child down at any parent sessions. I went very briefly indeed to one of these before escaping for a coffee; but not before someone managed to ask the tutors about their son, who apparently could not be trusted to work alone and would never do a stroke if his mother wasn't there to supervise. What support would there be for such a child? The tutor to my amazement reassured the mother that a good system was in place to ensure work was completed. If I had been in her shoes I would have said that it sounded as though the child was not ready for university and perhaps ought to take some time out to grow up.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Amber wrote:
Guest55 wrote:Some Open Days were good with separate things for parents and smaller groups. Get your DD/DS to look at the programme ...
Just don't let yourself or your child down at any parent sessions. I went very briefly indeed to one of these before escaping for a coffee; but not before someone managed to ask the tutors about their son, who apparently could not be trusted to work alone and would never do a stroke if his mother wasn't there to supervise. What support would there be for such a child? The tutor to my amazement reassured the mother that a good system was in place to ensure work was completed. If I had been in her shoes I would have said that it sounded as though the child was not ready for university and perhaps ought to take some time out to grow up.
:D

On the train to Reading as I type; both there and at Bristol tomorrow I shall probably restrict myself to the same 'general' questions of random student helpers whilst DD is at her various talks and the one more specific one on her behalf, re the chances of obtaining work as a pool lifeguard at the nearest swimming pools.

I think the last parent only session I attended anywhere was when DS1 had his applicant day at York in 2015, so a fair few visits ago. Mercifully no questions of the type you describe there, Amber, but there's always the risk :roll: . I just go for a nice potter instead. Or sit on a wall until DD comes back.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

ToadMum wrote: On the train to Reading as I type; both there and at Bristol tomorrow I shall probably restrict myself to the same 'general' questions of random student helpers whilst DD is at her various talks and the one more specific one on her behalf, re the chances of obtaining work as a pool lifeguard at the nearest swimming pools.
Reading council has shut them all - there is one just over the border in Wokingham still open but competition for lifeguard jobs is likely to be fierce. She might get something at one of the private health clubs or private schools
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now