Cambridge or Anglia Ruskin?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: Cambridge or Anglia Ruskin?

Post by Amber »

mad? wrote:At the most recent AGR conference it was noted that the majority of member employers specified a minimum degree qualification of 2.1. In pursuit of widening participation they also removed any reference to the institution from which the candidate was graduating and in many cases removed details of A level grades. So, sadly SteveDH, the answer to your question is yes, at least at application screening stage.
Was anything left on the application form?

All names are meant to go, as they may indicate ethnicity. Gender is not allowed either, as it may indicate, er, what gender you are. Address may indicate where you studied or your socioeconomic standing. If your qualifications are laundered in order to remove anything distinctive then presumably one is left with very little at the age of 21.

I have issues with the removal of A level grades, knowing as I do a couple of lazy toe rags who got unconditional offers for university and then basically gave up work, to the extreme annoyance of their parents and teachers.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Amber wrote:
mad? wrote:At the most recent AGR conference it was noted that the majority of member employers specified a minimum degree qualification of 2.1. In pursuit of widening participation they also removed any reference to the institution from which the candidate was graduating and in many cases removed details of A level grades. So, sadly SteveDH, the answer to your question is yes, at least at application screening stage.
Was anything left on the application form?

All names are meant to go, as they may indicate ethnicity. Gender is not allowed either, as it may indicate, er, what gender you are. Address may indicate where you studied or your socioeconomic standing. If your qualifications are laundered in order to remove anything distinctive then presumably one is left with very little at the age of 21.
Indeed, but a candidate does have to answer the questions they ask and it is on measuring these answers against the selection criteria that the decision whether to progress is made. Interestingly (ahem) there is a whole move to gamification of the recruitment process where candidates play games via an app to assess their suitability. Apparently this is what the millenials want. Don't get me started :roll:
mad?
Openminded

Post by Openminded »

Entry to many postgraduate degree courses may require a 2:1 also so, although many people in the workplace may have Masters or PhDs, their primary degree grade may have been important in enabling them to study for those postgraduate qualifications.

Having said that, even were it a desirable objective, I doubt that there will ever truly be any effort to equivalence degree grades from universities in the UK. Remember, this is a country that can't even have a single exam for a single subject. Instead there are several exam boards examining the same subject in their own way and a supposedly objective board overseeing the equivalence of these examinations!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Graduate 'schemes' are not always as attractive as they are portrayed. Some of DS's friends have gone on them and found they are a small cog and training is minimal.

Interestingly [or not] some of the best teachers I have worked with have had 2ii or 3rds [only know because I interviewed them] and some of the worst had PhDs. This might be restricted to maths as you need to be able to unpick difficulties and if you've never had one and can't see why anyone would, teaching it well could prove a challenge.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Guest55 wrote:Interestingly [or not] some of the best teachers I have worked with have had 2ii or 3rds [only know because I interviewed them] and some of the worst had PhDs. This might be restricted to maths as you need to be able to unpick difficulties and if you've never had one and can't see why anyone would, teaching it well could prove a challenge.
Yes, teaching was one of the (few) which did not request a 2.1, reflecting perhaps the crisis in teacher recruitment, but also hopefully leading to the recruitment of good teachers as you describe G55.
mad?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It's an interesting debate. I have 2 DCs at "lower tariff" universities, one of whom has just graduated with a 2:1 after working her socks off. I don't know how many got firsts (do they say at graduation ceremonies?). It worries me that being at a lower tariff uni will affect her job chances, but yes, she will probably use the 2:1 to do further qualifications. (And I have one lazy toe rag too!).
scary mum
Amber

Post by Amber »

mad? wrote:
Guest55 wrote:Interestingly [or not] some of the best teachers I have worked with have had 2ii or 3rds [only know because I interviewed them] and some of the worst had PhDs. This might be restricted to maths as you need to be able to unpick difficulties and if you've never had one and can't see why anyone would, teaching it well could prove a challenge.
Yes, teaching was one of the (few) which did not request a 2.1, reflecting perhaps the crisis in teacher recruitment, but also hopefully leading to the recruitment of good teachers as you describe G55.
Conversely in Finland, where teachers are regarded as being the best in the world, recruitment takes only those from the top 10% of graduates, is highly competitive, very well-regarded, and all teachers have to have a master's degree. Personally I do not see it as a good thing that a teacher recruitment crisis is leading to a lowering of the standards needed to enter the profession, though I concur that having a PhD does not make one a good teacher!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Amber wrote:
mad? wrote:
Conversely in Finland, where teachers are regarded as being the best in the world, recruitment takes only those from the top 10% of graduates, is highly competitive, very well-regarded, and all teachers have to have a master's degree. Personally I do not see it as a good thing that a teacher recruitment crisis is leading to a lowering of the standards needed to enter the profession, though I concur that having a PhD does not make one a good teacher!
That's it Amber pull out the pin, throw in the grenade and watch the fireworks start...
perhaps the situation with teachers in this country could be remedied by having a government that is happy to let educators educate..
Amber

Post by Amber »

stroudydad wrote:perhaps the situation with teachers in this country could be remedied by having a government that is happy to let educators educate..
That is never going to happen. Rhodes Boyson and the Black Papers saw to that - they began a deep-seated mistrust of teachers as radical left-wing hippies, and that has a legacy even today, that teachers can't quite be trusted and need to be kept in place by tight regulation of the curriculum and limits on their professional freedom.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now