Courses in clearing

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

solimum

Re: Courses in clearing

Post by solimum »

OH went to Aylesbury GS (back in the dark ages) and his Oxbridge destination would certainly have been approved of. However he hated his time there, which was compounded by the headmaster getting his name wrong at the final speech day....
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

anotherdad wrote:
KS10 wrote:I wonder if the school employs teachers solely from the "Aylesburian Group".
I suspect the group might be a flexible one. If there was a sudden reduction in students attending universities on the list as it currently stands and a spike in those attending say, UEA that took the percentage up to something significant like "two thirds", then that institution might find itself part of the exclusive club at short notice.

Maybe I'm wrong and there's some deeper level of commitment or partnership between the RG, Bath and Lancaster universities and the school?
From the observation of all but the youngest of the Toad household (he hasn't visited and it doesn't offer what he wants to study), they could do a lot worse than form an attachment for UEA. It would have been DS1's Insurance, had he not decided to accept his ether unconditional offer and it is also well up on DD's list for course, campus and city.

Come to think of it, we met some visitors from Buckinghamshire at a recent open day :D .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Yep, I know someone who went there and loved it. I didn't pick it for any other reason than it was the first university I thought of as I was typing!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Guest55 wrote:Why were you driving around the Berryfield estate? That's near the 'famous' Aylesbury Vale Academy ... those roads are at least five years old but yes, they are still building there. Many of the roads are named after varieties of fruit [apple I think]
Aylesbury is simple compared to MK ...
Despite an excellent sense of direction find myself lost in those outer ring roads of MK everytime I visit a certain brightly coloured warehouse. :roll:

The old teacher training colleges like Avery Hill became Poly's first and many students were unhappy about the loss of reputation. I think lumping them all under the Uni heading took away their individuality but has done little to get rid of the hierarchy, possibly made it worse. Polytechnics were thought to be better at the newer type courses like business studies.

I know of three people who have gone UEA because for its writing course.
KB

Post by KB »

I don't know if it is still the case but a few years ago the writing course at UEA was considered the 'gold standard' and highly competitive.

Similarly there were courses at Essex Uni which were highly rated despite the university as a whole not being in the top tier.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

KB wrote:I don't know if it is still the case but a few years ago the writing course at UEA was considered the 'gold standard' and highly competitive.

Similarly there were courses at Essex Uni which were highly rated despite the university as a whole not being in the top tier.
Yes - so always look at the department / course, not just the institution. Although even if Essex turns out to run the absolute bee's knees in the academic world in what DD wants to do, she knows that she doesn't want to do it there, because it's 'too close'. I would point out that nearly everywhere in London which offers her course is closer, but I do know what she means re the relative attractions of 'Greater Colchester' vs 'Greater London' and tbh, having visited LSE and got that one out of her system, she doesn't particularly want to go to London, either.

We went to have a look at the UKC campus yesterday. Our wonderful guide (definitely 'up there' with the lovely young woman who showed us round at KCL) apologised several times for having to make us stand in an exposed position in the 32 degree heat, but at one such stop, she said that she wanted us to stand precisely in that place, so that we could all see exactly what had made her choose Kent over the other university on her short list with an almost identical course. That place, being the spot from which the photograph of the view over the fields and trees down to the city was taken, that appears in their promotional literature.

The course looks interesting - Montreal is a possibility for the year out. Campus-wise, DD pronounced it even better than UEA :) but at the moment, on that score, Warwick still gets her vote.
Last edited by ToadMum on Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

17 MYTHS ABOUT CLEARING YOU SHOULDN’T BELIEVE
Here are some things about Clearing you may have heard but definitely aren’t true.

https://www.whatuni.com/advice/clearing ... ium=social" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Clearing and results day

https://university.which.co.uk/advice/c ... esults-day" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ahap

Post by ahap »

[quote="scary mum". Given how narrow the grade boundaries are at A level I would welcome extra opportunities for those who mess up the odd exam & have lower grades. Entry grades for medicine used to be Bs & Cs & I don't imagine they are poorer doctors.[/quote]

Well said.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Amber

Post by Amber »

JaneEyre wrote:17 MYTHS ABOUT CLEARING YOU SHOULDN’T BELIEVE
Here are some things about Clearing you may have heard but definitely aren’t true.

https://www.whatuni.com/advice/clearing ... ium=social" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Disagree with almost all of this. I am thinking of using my (marginal!) media influence to write an article entitled 'Steer clear of Clearing and take time to think instead'.

Life is short; but also long if you are doing the Wrong Thing.