Applying to Cambridge Uni for 2019

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

harlequin

Applying to Cambridge Uni for 2019

Post by harlequin »

Hi

My DS is going to apply to Cambridge to start next year & it would be good to hear from other parents whose DS/DD are also in the same situation as us.

We attended the Open Day recently and DS liked majority of the Colleges that we visited but DS can’t decide! Any thoughts?

Thanks

Harlequin
Guest55

Re: Applying to Cambridge Uni for 2019

Post by Guest55 »

Which degree? I think the help on TSR will be more valuable than on here as they have college reps who support and answer questions about applications.
KB

Post by KB »

Agree with G55.
Oxbridge entrance changes continuously - not just the formal rules but also the nuances.
Be careful to get up to date advice.
Also there will be few on here that have experience and that experience will mostly be limited.
I include myself in this - I know a good few students who went through the process but that was pre dropping of AS so things will have changed.

General advice on choosing college should still be relevant but again TSR will help as will the alternative prospectus for each.
Look at ( not necessarily in this order) the extra curricular strengths, dining arrangements, size, social mix, subject strength ( tutoring is college responsibility and some buy in from elsewhere or use postgrad students), accomodation ( some 1st year rooms really are truly awful) and how this suits the applicant.
Fwiw experience shows that very few are unhappy with choice of college once there.

You will get various opinions on which colleges are easier to get into than others for different subjects but I'd take it with a pinch of salt. Some subjects are easier to get into than others but the admissions system works to iron out differences between colleges and criteria are much more objective these days. The days when you could get an unconditional offer from Christs' if you were a top class rugby player are long gone :)
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

What subject is he planning to study ?
Read through all the college requirements for that subject, one thing that decided DD against certain colleges was that some colleges wanted you to sit an extra maths (I can't remember its official name) exam. Interestingly the college she was eventually pooled to was one of those and they just let her in without it.
Look at where most of the lectures will be and decide how much cycling he wants to do. MY DD would get out of bed at 8:15 and still make it for a 9:00 lecture.
Look at distance to cenrte of town if that is important
Also look at how much they charge for rooms and what their policy on accommodation is, do they have a room ballot, or do you pay extra for certain rooms.
Is he into cooking, some colleges have better ********* then others, i.e. some have ovens and some dont.
Is he into punting, some colleges are on the river and have their own punts.
harlequin

Post by harlequin »

Thanks all for your advice - much appreciated! DS looking to study Maths & will have to sit STEP exams.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

50% miss Cambridge Maths offers because of STEP so take it seriously - again TSR is the place to go for advice.
KB

Post by KB »

Agree with G55 (again :)
Maths is notoriously difficult to get into because of STEP requirements.
DSs were at highly selective GS with many very gifted mathematicians who would often score 100UMS at A level and a good smattering at FM as well.
Most students at the school who received Oxbridge offers would meet them but it was not at all uncommon for STEP to be the downfall of gifted mathematicians who missed out on a place.

Quite a while ago now but I do know of some who opted to apply for related subjects because of this.

Not to put off your DC but better to go in prepared.