What To Take Away?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tinkers

Re: What To Take Away?

Post by Tinkers »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-b ... e-45000545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

One example of Reading Ikea making the news for the wrong reasons, in case anyone thought I might be exaggerating about it taking hours to get out of the car park.
KB

Post by KB »

Mid week when it opens works best .

DCs also took a lot of second hand stuff but sadly much of it wasnt in a fit state to pass down by the tine it came home....

The advantage if distinctive kitchen stuff over marker pen is that its immediately clear where it has strayed to and maybe deters people taking it in the first place.

Baking stuff sounds like a good idea but be warned that storage is usually a real issue so plan cleverly.
Most of what we bought new was designed to pack inside each other, fold flat etc. My keenest cook offspring ended up with an overflow crate of kitchen stuff under the bed.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I suspect DD will end up with baking stuff under the bed. And she won’t be taking the family KitchenAid. We will need to look at multi use stuff and stuff that takes up little space.

Before anyone says she doesn’t need to take baking stuff, I’d point out that baking is her biggest stress release and one of her main hobbies. It would be like telling your really sporty DC they don’t *need* to take their trainers and sports kit to uni.

Plus I’m sure it will be her main way of acquiring friends.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Good for your dd Tinkers, she will be very relaxed and very popular, win win.

DS will be taking three pairs of rugby boots, and at size 14 they take a huge amount of space in the bag, but apparently they are all essential - what do I know :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Might be worth packing a suit if they have one. DS had a formal winter ball for his college at York Uni which they were expected to dress up for, held at National Rail Museum.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Tinkers wrote:I suspect DD will end up with baking stuff under the bed. And she won’t be taking the family KitchenAid. We will need to look at multi use stuff and stuff that takes up little space.

Before anyone says she doesn’t need to take baking stuff, I’d point out that baking is her biggest stress release and one of her main hobbies. It would be like telling your really sporty DC they don’t *need* to take their trainers and sports kit to uni.

Plus I’m sure it will be her main way of acquiring friends.
DD is another keen baker, who ended up running the University Baking society in her final year and now still regularly enjoys the lab Bake-Off in her PhD surroundings

Just tooooooo tasty though!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Reading Mum wrote:Our favourites used to be daim bars and meatballs/lingonberry jam/sauce
Yay! We rarely come home without a meatball meal deal, although I don't always remember to take a cool bag / ice pack, so we are accumulating a few :roll: .

Bondgirl, the info will be on the Durham website somewhere, should you tire of waiting for your DD to find out / let you know. No intention of either of our remaining two to go there, but DD did dally with the idea until she read about the relatively high chance of having to share a room. I have to say that I tend to regard finding things on the Durham website to be something for which there should be some kind of medal, but you might find something useful

https://www.dur.ac.uk/search/?q=What+is ... rch=Search
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
timothylewin

Post by timothylewin »

Giving DS our family Nespresso coffee machine, got 2 b a lot cheaper than £3 a cup at the lokal starbuks. Not sure about an iron, maybe halls will provide 1?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

timothylewin wrote:Giving DS our family Nespresso coffee machine, got 2 b a lot cheaper than £3 a cup at the lokal starbuks. Not sure about an iron, maybe halls will provide 1?
Starbucks have a cunning plan to get your university-bound offspring hooked on a daily dose their particular brand by having an outlet in every SU & making the coffee cheaper than in their regular outlets. For some reason this annoys me enormously.
PS your DS may find it isn't allowed in the hall of residence.
scary mum
solimum

Post by solimum »

If you've been listening to the Archers, what DC really need to pack is a much older lover who has given up his job in order to concentrate on his art, Egyptian cotton sheets, a lemon zester and an expensive variable-temperature kettle....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now