What To Take Away?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scary mum

Re: What To Take Away?

Post by scary mum »

No airers? Presumably a kettle is provided?
scary mum
KB

Post by KB »

Maybe they have irons in the laundry?

Surely they must have a means of hot water provided?

Have never heard of a ban on airers before - presumably the laundry has an area for hanging washing to dry but it does seem daft.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The problem with airers is, I suppose, that it encourages students to hang damp washing in their rooms. Students being students would have the heating up as high as possible (not on their dime!) and probably wouldn't necessarily open the windows....damp is a massive problem in big buildings. But you could call it a "towel rail".....!
KB

Post by KB »

To be fair DC in new accommodation block was unable to control heating ( always too high) or open window more than a crack ( safety catch).
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

kenyancowgirl wrote:The problem with airers is, I suppose, that it encourages students to hang damp washing in their rooms. Students being students would have the heating up as high as possible (not on their dime!) and probably wouldn't necessarily open the windows....damp is a massive problem in big buildings. But you could call it a "towel rail".....!
I gather it is a damp problem - doesn't seem to stop people having stuff airing in the rooms though.
mad?

Post by mad? »

DD1 wasn't allowed an airer either, as KCG suggested it was because of potential damp. There are dryers in the laundry but I am not sure about irons, although DD1 managed to get through 3 years without one anyway so maybe less of a 'requirement' in our family :roll: . As for the kettle, none provided so rather than bring it home we left DD2's in the kitchen on the basis that if it got confiscated so be it. As we left other flats were talking about buying one so I'd rather she 'lost' this one, rather than one she had paid for herself as it was a hand me down from DD1. I imagine that they meant to say no kettles in the room, rather than no kettles full stop. I notice the kitchen had no toaster either so taught DD2 how to grill toast before we left. Strange though, a COMPLETELY unequipped kitchen apart from fridge//freezer/cooker/hob but a fully functioning hotel style all bells and whistles en suite :roll: . Strangely quiet in the house this morning :shock:
mad?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

'Grilling' toast and boiling pans of water on the stove top seem such odd things to require students to do, though - much more potential for causing a fire, or at least a 'false alarm' fire brigade call-out, in the case of the toast, for a start.

I can't think of anywhere we have looked at where toasters and kettles would be allowed in the student's own room, but as an item for use in the kitchen, I have only seen either 'don't bring, as we provide' or 'you have to provide your own, but it must comply with UK regulations'.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mad?

Post by mad? »

ToadMum wrote:'Grilling' toast and boiling pans of water on the stove top seem such odd things to require students to do,
I agree, which is why we left the kettle there, imagining it must be a poorly written rule (as in should have said not allowed in the student's own room rather than just 'not allowed') WRT the toaster I imagine the same applies and one has to be bought from the flat kitty :roll:
mad?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Usually things like toasters and kettles are allowed, so long as they get PAT tested by the Uni team. A few fire alarms from people forgettng the toast at midnight will ensure that everyone is more careful in the future :lol:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

All the Hall ********* we saw yesterday had both toasters and kettles. I can understand why you wouldn’t be allowed to bring your own, but not why they wouldn’t provide them. It’s get to be cheaper running costs to boil a kettle/use a toaster than boil a pan of water and use the grill, especially as you are more likely to burn your toast under the grill, therefore keep it on longer to make another batch.