Weekly/Monthly budget for University

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scary mum

Re: Weekly/Monthly budget for University

Post by scary mum »

I don't think anyone can judge other people's reasons for having a car at university, nor should anyone have to defend it. My two have taken their cars from the second year but wouldn't have done had no parking been allowed. DD had a particular reason for it. DS doesn't other than ease of travel to come home & going to the supermarket. That is our family's choice, for reasons I don't need to justify.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's fine scary mum - it's having a car that sits unused for months which I find extravagant and very bad for a car. I know several people doing PCGEs that need cars to get to school placements.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Best not come and have a look in our barn then! :lol:
Loopy
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I had a car in my final year, needed to drop my one year old daughter off at the nursery, as there was no-one else to, before I spent the day in the labs.

No 2 students are alike, so it’s never a good idea to generalise
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I only think it's wasteful when they have a car and leave it at home - just think of the planet a bit. Car shares will be adequate when it's not needed daily ... if we could make it work then any family can.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I really think it's upto individual families to make the decisions that they are comfortable with.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I am entitled to my opinion and just think people should think twice if the car is not needed every day.

Everyone is now concerned about plastic but this is just as wasteful and damaging to the planet.
doodles

Post by doodles »

I think you have made your opinion perfectly clear Guest, others may have different opinions that are just as valid please accept that.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Amber

Post by Amber »

DS1's car will be left at home while he is at university. At the moment DS2 is learning in it but once he passes his test his grandmother is going to pay for him to have one. This will leave DS1's car sitting on our drive, though DH has said he is going to drive it to work as it is smaller and easier to park than his. DS1 will have 8 week terms. I do not think it would be a good idea to sell his car in order to ?save the planet, as he will need it in the very long holidays and also we don't think it would be the best idea to keep buying another one every time he comes home.
solimum

Post by solimum »

Also some insurance companies will give a discount on the premium if those otherwise expensive young drivers are studying at an address away from the car during term time!