UCAS applications for 2019 entry - OCR FSMQ Add Maths

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: UCAS applications for 2019 entry - OCR FSMQ Add Maths

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The point being that universities can and do kick people out if they subsequently find they have "lied' on their application. Omitting something is lying by omission. I think it is clear in the link that Guest helpfully posted that UCAS are telling candidates to disclose everything - the person you spoke to is going against UCAs's own official advice. Ultimately it is up to the applicant themselves to read and understand the advice given on their application - they can ask teachers etc but they need to read the fine print themselves...
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

kenyancowgirl wrote:The point being that universities can and do kick people out if they subsequently find they have "lied' on their application. Omitting something is lying by omission. I think it is clear in the link that Guest helpfully posted that UCAS are telling candidates to disclose everything - the person you spoke to is going against UCAs's own official advice. Ultimately it is up to the applicant themselves to read and understand the advice given on their application - they can ask teachers etc but they need to read the fine print themselves...
Agreed. About (not) reading the fine print though... I'm one of the worst offenders! Not for the really important stuff, though. :)
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Having to declare all grades is another reason I'm against early entry. It may seem 'clever' to get a grade C in Maths at age 10 ... not so clever when you have to declare it years later.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Guest55 wrote:Having to declare all grades is another reason I'm against early entry. It may seem 'clever' to get a grade C in Maths at age 10 ... not so clever when you have to declare it years later.
We've had a similar conversation after school today. DS said his school didn't do early GCSEs anymore, I think his may have been the last year to do it.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Read this thread today.

My DC2 is also told that OCR FSMQ Maths results are not needed to be declared on the UCAS form if you do not want to do.

Also, it is a certificate course so not a full GCSE.

Not sure on this myself.

In AQA FSMQ a child can get A* whereas in OCR FSMQ A is the highest a child can get. Both are certificate and not full GCSE as per school.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's a qualification - it should be listed. It's better not to risk going against UCAS guidelines.

DS also listed music grades as there was a section for other qualifications.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

topsyturvy wrote:Read this thread today.

My DC2 is also told that OCR FSMQ Maths results are not needed to be declared on the UCAS form if you do not want to do.

Also, it is a certificate course so not a full GCSE.

Not sure on this myself.

In AQA FSMQ a child can get A* whereas in OCR FSMQ A is the highest a child can get. Both are certificate and not full GCSE as per school.
DS declared his FSMQ. It looks very odd alongside his other grades but we decided a risk of having an application voided or an offer withdrawn is not worth taking. There is a section on the UCAS form where you can declare the FSMQ, i. e. you can pick the correct thing from the drop-down menu so to my mind it's there for a reason. I still don't understand why schools say it's not required...
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Guest55 wrote:It's a qualification - it should be listed. It's better not to risk going against UCAS guidelines.

DS also listed music grades as there was a section for other qualifications.
I never thought of that! DS only got to Grade 4 piano and then dropped it in year 9... He didn't even want to include it in his PS saying Grade 4 wasn't a big deal so not worth mentioning. His UCAS form is all done but the school are checking it through, do you think we could add the piano grades at this stage?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The higher music (and dance etc) grades attract UCAS points, but unless you are applying for a course that just asks for a set number of points without specifying where from I’m not sure how much they count.

Probably worth still putting on imho (shows a breadth of interests), but I have no clue one this and happy to be told otherwise.
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

Tinkers wrote:The higher music (and dance etc) grades attract UCAS points, but unless you are applying for a course that just asks for a set number of points without specifying where from I’m not sure how much they count.

Probably worth still putting on imho (shows a breadth of interests), but I have no clue one this and happy to be told otherwise.
Thank you, Tinkers. DS's Grade 4 certificate says 'awarded 15 credits at Level 2 of the QCF' and he got a merit. The piano as such is completely irrelevant to his chosen course at uni but I agree it's a good proof of a breath of interests. Just need to find out how to add it in at this stage!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now