Uni offers/rejections 2019

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Uni offers/rejections 2019

Post by ToadMum »

Actually, he may regard himself as quite fortunatre that LSE has made and communicated the decision fairly swiftly. Like at least one other member here that I know, I also hang out on TSR and one of the things that has saddened me about my alma mater over the past couple of years is the way that applicants have been 'strung along'. 'We will email you in four weeks to tell you that we will email you again in another four weeks / eight weeks. Then just before that deadline, we will email you to say that something unforeseen has happened and we'll email you again in another four weeks...'. By all means operate on the principle of the gathered field, but for goodness' sake just say to people, 'We won't make any decisions until all on time applications have been received' :evil: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

ToadMum wrote:Actually, he may regard himself as quite fortunatre that LSE has made and communicated the decision fairly swiftly. Like at least one other member here that I know, I also hang out on TSR and one of the things that has saddened me about my alma mater over the past couple of years is the way that applicants have been 'strung along'. 'We will email you in four weeks to tell you that we will email you again in another four weeks / eight weeks. Then just before that deadline, we will email you to say that something unforeseen has happened and we'll email you again in another four weeks...'. By all means operate on the principle of the gathered field, but for goodness' sake just say to people, 'We won't make any decisions until all on time applications have been received' :evil: .
:shock: That is just cruel! In this case, he is lucky indeed, there were no false signs of hope.
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
PurpleDuck

Post by PurpleDuck »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Remember that the general deadline for UCAS isn't until 15th January, so a lot of people haven't submitted yet - some universities deal with applications in batches, so they may not make early decisions, or they decide to wait to see what general calibre comes through. If the early applications are particularly strong, then other universiteis (like LSE) make decisions as they come through - but each university looks for different things.

It may well be worth reminding him (in a good moment) that whilst his friends may all be planning on going this year, it is highly likely that some of them may find they are not going this year (due to not getting grades etc) and will take a gap year - others decide to defer to allow them to gain more experience/money, so he is very unlikely to be the only one not going this year.
Very true, Kenyancowgirl. I did gently suggest unis may be waiting to see the entire cohort before making offers. NB. one of his friends applied to read maths at Cambridge and didn't even get invited to an interview, despite his predicted 4xA*! I can't even imagine how disappointed that boy must be.

I'm sort of walking on egg shells at the moment but when I get a chance, I try to convey a message that whatever happens, happens for a good reason and it is what it's meant to be. I'll just need new nails and hair colour when it's all over! :lol:
It felt like I hit rock bottom; suddenly, there was knocking from beneath... (anon.)
KB

Post by KB »

In the days of ASs there was something of a pattern for which departments at which Unis offered when and who interviewed etc.
With the A level changes its not even possible to extrapolate from past behaviour in a helpful way.

I agree that the best thing to do is to encourage focus on A level studies as that's where time and effort can be usefully directed.

A rejection from LSE is akin to a rejection from Oxbridge and no indicator that other offers wont be forthcoming.

+1 that it's likely to be post UCAS deadline before most offers are made.
cazien

Post by cazien »

PurpleDuck wrote:Feeling really stressed out waiting for uni offers. DS is predicted A*A*A, has applied for courses with economics. He's had disappointing news today with a rejection from the LSE. Their entry requirement is AAA which is below his predictions, he bagged top grades at GCSE, the school said his personal statement was very good so the only thing I can think of is that it was his low grade at Additional Maths that cost him a place.

Is it common that universities reject applications when predicted grades are higher than the minimum entry requirement? He's getting really worried about Warwick (A*AA) now. We've also heard that Warwick takes forever with economics offers so it may be a very long wait! :(

DS had rejection from LSE yesterday as well. In the same position as your DS really - bagged top grades at GCSE (inc. Further Maths), is predicted top grades at A-level. The only comment he received from LSE was that his personal statement didn't include enough for Maths. He received offers from Warwick and Bristol a few week ago.

Edit - apologies he has not received an offer from Warwick - had offers from all others but still awaiting Warwick.
Last edited by cazien on Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Sorry to hear that.

Was he applying for Maths?

The Oxbridge mantra is nothing but the subject in the personal statement. They simply do not care what else you can do. They just want to know how well you do the subject you are applying for.

Does that perhaps now apply to LSE as well? Or was he also applying for Economics? DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:Sorry to hear that.

The Oxbridge mantra is nothing but the subject in the personal statement. They simply do not care what else you can do. They just want to know how well you do the subject you are applying for.

Does that perhaps now apply to LSE as well? Or was he also applying for Economics? DG
According to TSR, for LSE its not so much the how geared towards the course applied for your PS is - they get the hump if its not geared towards how much that specific course at LSE :roll: . I'm sure they weren't so up themselves when I was there; I actually enjoyed my time there, apart from the odd class taken by a non-native English speaker graduate student (I remember thinking at the time that it was 'just' a double barrier to learning for those of us whose first language was English - first work out what the English words were meant to be, then the content - but a triple barrier for those non-native speakers from a different non-native English speaking culture).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

It's a rum old process applying to uni and how long offers take does seem completely random. When ds1 applied he got two offers within a couple of days and then had to wait weeks for the other two. His one rejection was from Nottingham (I think) and came in quite quickly and with a very reasonable explanation. After a quick spin through clearing and his planned gap year he started this year at a uni that wasn't even on his radar when he applied and is very happy and on an excellent course.

I know it's hard but please hang on in there it will work itself out.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
cazien

Post by cazien »

He applied for Economics with Management.
mad?

Post by mad? »

cazien wrote:

He applied for Economics with Management.
Bad luck Mini Cazien. On a positive note the cost of accommodation in London is a nightmare and post first year students are often very dispersed and it can be a 'different' experience as a result. Bristol is a lovely city and who know what else DC may be offered (although the wait is agony) . DG Economics at Uni involves a huge amount of maths.
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now