Uni offers/rejections 2019

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Eccentric

Re: Uni offers/rejections 2019

Post by Eccentric »

Blimey! i had no idea that it could be so tough your poor DCs. I am not looking forward to this bit. All that hard work to get the grades and then...
cazien

Post by cazien »

mad? wrote:
cazien wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:Sorry to hear that.

Was he applying for Maths?

The Oxbridge mantra is nothing but the subject in the personal statement. They simply do not care what else you can do. They just want to know how well you do the subject you are applying for.

Does that perhaps now apply to LSE as well? Or was he also applying for Economics? DG
He applied for Economics with Management.
Bad luck Mini Cazien. On a positive note the cost of accommodation in London is a nightmare and post first year students are often very dispersed and it can be a 'different' experience as a result. Bristol is a lovely city and who know what else DC may be offered (although the wait is agony) . DG Economics at Uni involves a huge amount of maths.
Thank you mad?.
The accommodation cost was a negative deterrent for him :!: He was a little disappointed but he knew he would be up against a large number of applicants as I think historically only 1 in approx. 15 achieve a place. We have visited Bristol (as we live in the South West :D ) and, yes, it is a lovely, vibrant City. He has offers elsewhere, and is now only awaiting for a response from Warwick.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

KFC for all your DCs - I think some of these Unis are very oversubscribed and it does not make it any easier when there are headlines about "universities giving out unconditional offers ++" and all your mates have one and you are still waiting :roll:
cazien

Post by cazien »

hermanmunster wrote:KFC for all your DCs - I think some of these Unis are very oversubscribed and it does not make it any easier when there are headlines about "universities giving out unconditional offers ++" and all your mates have one and you are still waiting :roll:
Neither does the recent press reports - last month a Uni being given 900K "emergency loan" to keep it in business and this week the Uni. of Gloucestershire making 100 staff redundant :roll:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Despite advising countless students about university applications, this year has been horrendous as DS1 goes through it all. In his case, medicine is not only getting the grades for GCSE, but also the work experience, the predicted grades for A levels, the UKCAT, then the actual getting of the interviews (bearing in mind you can only apply to 4 Medical Schools) - some of his friends have already had rejections with no interview, despite having the requisite grades profile - then the passing of the interview (or not) to the point of an offer - which might not be made until March-May depending on how well it goes, or a rejection may be made straight away, then the actual getting of the grades required....The hoops he is having to jump through for the actual interviews, are a minefield in themselves - some require you to book a date yourself, some book it for you - I think having booked one he had to upload about 20 documents last night - another has required him to prepare a presentation and so on....but each university asks for different things prior to the interview so it isn't one size fits all!

I can completely see how people get put off.....
avidskier

Post by avidskier »

ToadMum wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:Sorry to hear that.

Was he applying for Maths?

The Oxbridge mantra is nothing but the subject in the personal statement. They simply do not care what else you can do. They just want to know how well you do the subject you are applying for.

Does that perhaps now apply to LSE as well? Or was he also applying for Economics? DG
According to TSR, for LSE its not so much the how geared towards the course applied for your PS is - they get the hump if its not geared towards how much that specific course at LSE :roll: . I'm sure they weren't so up themselves when I was there; I actually enjoyed my time there, apart from the odd class taken by a non-native English speaker graduate student (I remember thinking at the time that it was 'just' a double barrier to learning for those of us whose first language was English - first work out what the English words were meant to be, then the content - but a triple barrier for those non-native speakers from a different non-native English speaking culture).
Totally agree with Toadmum on both points..
Our DD had a similar experience with LSE. She got offers from everywhere else including Cambridge, but the LSE said her essay was not strong enough (having been strung along with several emails over six months). I suspect that her essay did not reflect enough detail alluding to the LSE course she was applying to (which can be very hard when creating a one-size-fits-all personal essay!).
And I had a similar experience to Toadmum at the LSE: patchy teaching by a string of hard to understand grads.. albeit as a non native trying to understand our Scottish lecturer (who was apparently an academic superstar) was so difficult I gave up after a few lectures.
Both my DH and I went to the LSE and we were both glad DD didn’t get offered it...
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Blimey I thought there was a shortage of doctors! Hardly surprising if this is what they have to go through before they even get offered a place to study medicine!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Pretty similar for vet med - apart from no UKCAT, although Cambridge makes them sit the natural science exam instead. Most unis then have some sort of online risk based questionnaire that must be completed in a single session (I have visions of DH installing a UPS just in case as there have been a few power cuts in the area recently).
I am not looking forward to watching DD go through this next year.
Good luck to everyone applying this year
cazien

Post by cazien »

hermanmunster wrote:KFC for all your DCs - I think some of these Unis are very oversubscribed and it does not make it any easier when there are headlines about "universities giving out unconditional offers ++" and all your mates have one and you are still waiting :roll:
And it certainly doesn't make it any easier when you have twins - especially when the other one has been invited for an interview next week at his first choice Uni (am I :D :( :| :?: emoji overload). They both achieved same GCSE grades, have the same predicted A-levels, just opted for different courses at different Uni's.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Sorry to hear that. Hang on in there.

I don't have twins but I did have two dds applying at the same time and one leaving it until two days before the deadline and getting 4 offers and an interview (and subsequent offer) within days and one who did it in October waiting and waiting until April to hear back from the same university that gave her an offer the previous year on estimated grades then not responding when she had the grades.

Lastminute dd got an offer from the same university for a different course just days after applying.

So same university does it differently for different courses and does it differently one year to the next for the same course and same applicant! DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now