First timer!!

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mad?

Re: First timer!!

Post by mad? »

fairyelephant wrote:A teacher mentioned at parents’ eve that you could apply for more than one course at Durham (impliedly in the same UCAS round). DD can’t find any mention of this on the website. Did I miss hear or is this a thing? Will email to find out...
I've heard of Durham offering different subjects, eg applied for History, rejected for that but offered Anthropology instead, but not being allowed to apply for two different subjects. I'd be interested to hear if that is what they are doing, but recommend being very sure before you try.
mad?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

fairyelephant wrote:A teacher mentioned at parents’ eve that you could apply for more than one course at Durham (impliedly in the same UCAS round). DD can’t find any mention of this on the website. Did I miss hear or is this a thing? Will email to find out...
Yes you can - you may need to contact them regarding a substitute PS as it is hard to craft one for two separate subjects. Hopefully this is the link to the faqs that discusses it:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/classics/undergra ... 91#faq1855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

At the end of the day, you can put five courses at the same university on yiur UCAS form if you want, but I guess what you mean is, 'Will DD be considered for both (or either), if she applies for two?'. I don't know about Durham, I'm afraid, but I am fairly sure that LSE won't consider an application for more than one course in the same round, so it isn't unknown. On the other hand, LSE has a hissy fit if your PS isn't tailored to the last character to their particular version of the course you are applying for, so it would actually be impossible to apply for e.g. Economic History and History with Economic History (or whatever) anyway.

Are the courses your DD fancies at Durham similar enough to overcome the PS issue?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Thanks everyone. That is interesting. DD is tying herself in knots between straight Economics and Economics with Geography (which at Durham would mean choosing the Combined Social Sciences degree). Hopefully she’ll have come down on one side or another before applications go in, otherwise she’ll have to prepare more than one PS I guess. There’s quite a lot of synergy between the two subjects but not that many courses that fit the bill. So far she’s found Leeds, Loughborough, Edinburgh and St Andrews. If plain Economics, Warwick would feature.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

You can do that combination within Flexible Combined Honours at Exeter as well.

https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/ ... le/exeter/
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Thanks very much ToadMum, she hadn’t spotted that one.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

fairyelephant wrote:Thanks very much ToadMum, she hadn’t spotted that one.
:)

Does she enjoy mountaineering, though?

(Sorry, it's just that when DS2 and I went to an open day with DD this time last year, it was the first time in years that I'd been to Exeter and never to to any part of the university and it just wasn't the weather for everywhere being up a hill from somewhere that was up a hill, from a point you'd gone up a hill to get to. Not to mention the 'Jacob's Ladder' short cut up to our B&B the evening before :shock: ).
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now