Uni visits and decisions about where to apply

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Reading Mum

Re: Uni visits and decisions about where to apply

Post by Reading Mum »

Cambridge is our last one this week, after Nottingham last week. She has already done a 3 day taster there but wants to see it in open day mode. Seeing them in the flesh has been useful for DD - she really doesn't want campus but has decided that Nottingham can go in as 4th choice as the grade requirements are lower.

I have enjoyed visiting with her but interviews/offer days will be under her own steam. Her friend who is aiming for the same course has not liked the same unis on the whole - they share 2 out of 8/9 possibles. They haven't managed to visit any at the same time so they compare notes when they get back in to school.
MrsChubbs

Post by MrsChubbs »

Skipsmash has she considered York? It is up North. Has good Med school, excellent sports facilities, a cycle track and very active cycle club.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Ds likes Bristol and Nottingham.
Visited Cambridge today and really liked it.
However, he wants to do engineering. He is doing A level maths, physics and chemistry, but he isn't doing further maths, so although he should get the grade requirements, the lack of further maths could be the problem.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sheffield seems not to require Further Maths?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
solimum

Post by solimum »

nervousmom wrote:Ds likes Bristol and Nottingham.
However, he wants to do engineering. He is doing A level maths, physics and chemistry, but he isn't doing further maths, so although he should get the grade requirements, the lack of further maths could be the problem.
He could apply to the Year in Industry scheme https://www.etrust.org.uk/the-year-in-industry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - when my DS1 did this several years ago as part of the placement there was a Maths self-study module which topped up his maths skills to (he'd taken Maths, Physics & Design Tech)

(Despite less than stellar A levels DS1 is now a Chartered Engineer and the YINI was an excellent step along this route, plus giving him an additional year to mature as an August birthday before heading off to university)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Lack of further maths shouldn’t be an issue for engineering, though many ,students take it as a fourth A level. It’s worth looking at the specific admissions requirements though.

Usually it’s maths and physics (or maths and chemistry for chem eng) plus one other.

I always recommend further maths for anyone thinking about engineering, as it’s a maths heavy subject and it will give a head start particularly in your first year, but I wouldn’t see it as essential.
JS33

Post by JS33 »

JS33 wrote:
loobylou wrote:This has been a really interesting thread.

She would now like to start thinking a bit more about it and she wants to start with the courses, then look at the university experience/place.
?
A book that I recommend is :
HEAP 2019: University Degree Course Offers Paperback – 18 May 2018
By Brian Heap
Edited by moderator
kenyancowgirl wrote: Reality is though that with uni websites, student alternative online guides, UCAS information online, Heap isn't really necessary/relevant anymore - I certainly wouldn't purchase a physical copy, myself.

The initial message had the phrases ‘if possible’ and ‘have a look at’. The message has been edited by moderators.
It was some nice advice given to loobylou, just advising her to consult a book, not to buy it.
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

Tinkers wrote:
Lack of further maths shouldn’t be an issue for engineering, though many ,students take it as a fourth A level. It’s worth looking at the specific admissions requirements though.

Usually it’s maths and physics (or maths and chemistry for chem eng) plus one other.

I always recommend further maths for anyone thinking about engineering, as it’s a maths heavy subject and it will give a head start particularly in your first year, but I wouldn’t see it as essential.
For Cambridge lack of further maths isn't a problem, although they do have extra classes in the 1st term for those that didn't do it.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Thanks for advice.

I'll pass this on to him. I know there is a test at the end of October that they insist prospective students sit, so he will register to do this.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

DD is having to sit a natural sciences exam for vet med at Cambridge (she really liked it at open day too, even knowing that it isn't the most respected vet med course) - be aware that the exam is slap bang in the middle of half term which might catch some people out if they have holiday plans.