Is university worth it?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BucksBornNBred

Re: Is university worth it?

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Thank you again for those ideas though I saw that apprenticeships are super hard to get. KB, did you mean if we could afford to pay him to do a zero hour job? I think the problem is he doesn't see how quickly time flies (only parents can see that!) and I don't want to put pressure on him - he hasn't even sat his GCSEs! Cazien, he definitely is not craving uni life and this is the first year (hang my head in shame) that he has actually signed up for and been enthusiastic for an extra-curricular activity. Unfortunately I don't think it will in any way lead to a career (though it might help with a uni application if he chooses that route!) I will explore all your suggestions :D
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Another question, if anyone can help. Do pupils still do work experience in Yr 11? I can't find anythng about it on the school website (JHGS). Thanks.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It will vary by school. BGS do it in year 10 now. Some schools do it in year 12.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Not all schools do work experience. DS1 did it in year 10, I think, but following on six years later at the same school, DS2 (just finished year 11) hasn't nor did DD (different school).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

I am guessing from the website and your answers that he won't be doing any then. Shame, as I found it helped me realise my strenghs (I too had no idea what to do at 16!)
solimum

Post by solimum »

There's no reason he / you couldn't organise some work experience independently after the GCSEs - there's a long summer to fill!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I nearly said earlier that I thought they did it in year 12 at JHGS & so it seems from the website
scary mum
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

solimum wrote:There's no reason he / you couldn't organise some work experience independently after the GCSEs - there's a long summer to fill!
The reason would be that he is a lazy b*m who, unfortunately, doesn't play Fortnite so hasn't got rich quick :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now