Glandular fever

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: Glandular fever

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The rule of thumb is that, if they rush back, they will be off longer in the long run and, however long they are off (sport), it should take them that long to get back up to full speed. It is painful - we know as we have one currently off rugby, who is getting more and more down with every match he misses, despite having barely any energy to walk around the block....
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Thank you for all your responses - and a quick update.

DS stayed up until the end of term and we went and collected him then. He is still very tired, but was able to catch up on some work over the holidays, and has gone back to uni today. He is going to see the Dr to get a letter which he will pass on to the physics department, which means that his first master's report deadline can be extended for a month, as can other deadlines if need be, plus they can take the mitigating circumstances into account if his degree classification is borderline.

He is keen to take his exams at the correct time rather than later in the year. I think I have persuaded him to go and see his academic advisor in the department to talk about how to prioritise his work.

He has been offered a PhD place in Germany, and his master's supervisors are confident he would be offered a PhD at Durham if he wanted to stay. For both he needs a 1st or a 2.1 - he is on for a 1st at the moment so even if he slips down to a 2.1 if won't adversely affect that.

He has been sent back with a vitamin supplement and instructions not to stay up late, not to do too much, and to rest as much as possible. Any more advice to help him get his energy back?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I had ME years ago.
Some rules I lived by (and still do especially when I’m ill)
If you don’t want to do something and don’t need to do something, don’t do it. Save your energy for things you do want to do or need to do.

There’s the old cliche about listening to what your body tells you, but that’s not quite enough. You also need to understand what it’s telling you.

Then mostly importantly actually DO what your body is telling you.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If you google you can find lists of foods that can help with glandular fever recovery - I'm not a nutritionist, I hasten to add, but when I looked at it it seemed to be good healthy eating - lots of the superfoods - things that help boost the body - when DS1 was very unwell, I needed something that gave me an element of control, so the list was useful for that. DS2 has had something similar very recently so it is all very fresh.

The hardest thing at uni is understanding that as well as alcohol making you sleep less well, it also, when you have GF really, really doesn't play well with your liver/spleen and kidneys, which are ravaged anyway - the less of that you can have the better.

And totally agree with listening to your body - that is exactly what all the consultants, nurses, school nurses (who have seen more gf than most) said - if you need to sleep, sleep, but try and get some fresh air every day, even if it is just a short walk around the block.