University or Course ?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: University or Course ?

Post by ToadMum »

Jean.Brodie wrote:
mad? wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:I know several students doing PPE at Oxford and none of them have A level Maths.
They all have one or more of History and Politics and English and Geography. Most don't have Economics.DG
I think that reflects the course at Oxford which is Economics and Maths light. It is not necessarily the same elsewhere. If a university says maths is not preferred (as suggested in OP's DC's choices) then it should be OK and not have impacted offers. If however, it was preferred but not required, then maybe it did.
My partner and I have known quite a few PPE graduates out of Oxford. They all disliked or hated at least one of the three main subjects and it tended to be Economics. Those who disliked Economics were invariably those who did not have Economics A Level or Maths A Level.

Nowadays, Oxford also offers the separate 'Economics & Management' degree. Something to consider.
If you like a bit more of a challenge, perhaps? 2019 entry, applications per place: PPE 8.2, E&M: 15.3 (Annual Admissions Statistical Report, May 2019).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Re: University or Course ?

Post by Daogroupie »

What a waste!

All those PPE graduates you know hating 30% of their course for three years when there were so many who didn't get a place and would have loved it. Malala seems to be enjoying it.

Was the hatred immediate or did it grow on them?

There would have been opportunities to change early on in the course. DG