University or Course ?

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Re: University or Course ?

Post by doodles »

Owass wrote:Thanks for the insight, and taking the time to respond.

We may go with his preferred university rather than the course as DS's suggested career paths don't require specific degrees unlike say engineering or pharmacy.
Please make sure that he checks the course content to ensure that it's what he wants to study. It's much easier to live in your second or third choice city than it is to spend three years studying something you don't like!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Owass

Post by Owass »

English is my second language, so forgive me - It is entirely his choice. DS has until March to pick his "two" once his mocks are over.

Thanks for your advice.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Owass wrote:English is my second language, so forgive me - It is entirely his choice. DS has until March to pick his "two" once his mocks are over.

Thanks for your advice.
:D

You wouldn't be alone, though, sadly, had you really meant that the decision would not be your DS's to make.

Re decisions on Firm and Insurance, if your DS has all his responses back by March 31st, he has until a date in the first week in May to enter these. The universities have until the day after that to make decisions on all on-time applications.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/events/find/t ... ?keywords=

2020 entry: If you receive all decisions by 31 March, reply by 5 May

https://www.ucas.com/events/2020-entry- ... may-348841

Decision time!

Key date • 5 May 2020 • Undergraduate

2020 entry: Uni/college decisions due on applications submitted by 15 January

https://www.ucas.com/events/2020-entry- ... ary-348861
Decisions due from course providers

Key date • 6 May 2020 • Undergraduate

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
SteveDH

Post by SteveDH »

Did they have and has he been to the post offer open days. They are a lot more personal then the pre ones and give a much better idea what you are choosing.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

SteveDH wrote:Did they have and has he been to the post offer open days. They are a lot more personal then the pre ones and give a much better idea what you are choosing.
Furthermore, UEA put on a really nice (free) lunch when DS2 and I went with DD to hers :).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Owass

Post by Owass »

SteveDH wrote:Did they have and has he been to the post offer open days. They are a lot more personal then the pre ones and give a much better idea what you are choosing.
We're planning to attend all of them starting from next Month.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Owass wrote:My dear son is torn between choosing the university he likes and the courses offered to him. His teachers have stated that it is often possible to change courses (if it is within the same department, subject to the student's A level results). This choices based on his preference are (block capitals denote the preferred course, and lower case is the offer on the table):

1. The University of Manchester (PPE, politics & philosophy)
2. University of Nottingham (POLITICS & ECONOMICS, politics & international relations)
2. The University of Sheffield (POLITICS & ECONOMICS, politics & economics)
4. Lancaster University (PPE, ppe)
5. East Anglia (PPE, ppe)

I'm told that it is possible to change courses (within reason) once a student has started first year. My son is undecided in terms of career choices but has mentioned finance, compliance or possibly law (financial regulation).

Many thanks.
Generally, the Course is what he will work, not the University. Being academically successful and feeling academically successful is key to self esteem and to well being. Chances are, he will friends at all Universities.

So I would always choose the Course.

Regarding Economics, I would be wary without A Level Maths and, indeed, quite strong A Level Maths.

Hopefully, the post offer Open Days will help to crystallise all this in your son's mind.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I know several students doing PPE at Oxford and none of them have A level Maths.

They all have one or more of History and Politics and English and Geography. Most don't have Economics.

DG
mad?

Post by mad? »

Daogroupie wrote:I know several students doing PPE at Oxford and none of them have A level Maths.
They all have one or more of History and Politics and English and Geography. Most don't have Economics.DG
I think that reflects the course at Oxford which is Economics and Maths light. It is not necessarily the same elsewhere. If a university says maths is not preferred (as suggested in OP's DC's choices) then it should be OK and not have impacted offers. If however, it was preferred but not required, then maybe it did.
mad?
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

mad? wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:I know several students doing PPE at Oxford and none of them have A level Maths.
They all have one or more of History and Politics and English and Geography. Most don't have Economics.DG
I think that reflects the course at Oxford which is Economics and Maths light. It is not necessarily the same elsewhere. If a university says maths is not preferred (as suggested in OP's DC's choices) then it should be OK and not have impacted offers. If however, it was preferred but not required, then maybe it did.
My partner and I have known quite a few PPE graduates out of Oxford. They all disliked or hated at least one of the three main subjects and it tended to be Economics. Those who disliked Economics were invariably those who did not have Economics A Level or Maths A Level.

Nowadays, Oxford also offers the separate 'Economics & Management' degree. Something to consider.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now