Cambridge college threatens to remove students

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Cambridge college threatens to remove students

Post by Guest55 »

"Trinity College Cambridge has been accused of taking punitive measures after telling students they could be abruptly removed from their accommodation in the event of a coronavirus outbreak.

Trinity College, which has reported assets of £1.5bn, has told students living in the college’s halls of residence to sign a new contract that warns they will be “required to move, without help from college, to alternative college accommodation, or out of college, at very short notice”.

“If college accommodation is withdrawn from you, you must return home or find alternative accommodation elsewhere, at your own cost. The college will provide temporary alternative safe accommodation at another location only if there is a truly exceptional reason as to why you cannot obtain alternative accommodation,” the agreement states.

College porters would “secure repossession” of rooms if students refuse to comply."

Read the full article here - https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...utbreak-occurs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hermanmunster

Re: Cambridge college threatens to remove students

Post by hermanmunster »

good grief - they are getting a bit big for their boots. The students will need help if this happens. St Andrews provided accommodation for students who needed to quarantine if coming from abroad etc at no charge other than for food which is delivered to the door.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Am getting 'error 404' when trying to follow the link...?

ETA
Okay, got there now.

Rather flies against the (currently) official line, Self-isolating means staying in your home or place of residence and not going outside for any reason, including not travelling to a different place of residence, doesn't it?

Especially interesting, given who their Master is...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ToadMum wrote:
:roll: quite
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hermanmunster wrote:
ToadMum wrote:
:roll: quite
She of 'Whenever I think I might fancy a glass of wine with my dinner, I stop and ask myself, How much do I want to die of breast cancer?' fame....
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

hermanmunster wrote:good grief - they are getting a bit big for their boots. The students will need help if this happens. St Andrews provided accommodation for students who needed to quarantine if coming from abroad etc at no charge other than for food which is delivered to the door.
Unbelievable policy at Cambridge

St Andrews is clearly doing right thing (as are some others, Sheffield also offered upto 3 weeks free early arrival for International students who needed to quarantine).

Anyway back to final packing, arrivals at Sheffield are all 90 minute timed slots starting today (we have tomorrow) as decided to spread arrivals over 4 days to minimise numbers at same time.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

St Andrews closed during spring break in the middle of the second term when most students were away. They paid for student's property to be cleared from halls of residence, stored for the summer and delivered to new accommodation at the start of this term. Absolutely briiliant imho.
copella

Post by copella »

Interesting as the uni of notts are not only having on site testing but on their website seem very ready to support their students who have to self isolate.

This is what they say

the University will be helping students on and off campus to isolate through the provision of support packages, which will include a range of measures including meals being taken to students’ doors in halls of residence, as well as providing essential items, guidance and support for those living in private accommodation in the wider community.
mad?

Post by mad? »

That seems so irresponsible and lazy of Trinity to me. Notwithstanding how awful and unsupportive for the students to have to do it, how on earth can insisting an infected person travels across the country and joins a new household be anything other than wrong? (Yes. You. Mr Cummings).
mad?