what forms parents need to complete for child going to uni

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

food4thought

what forms parents need to complete for child going to uni

Post by food4thought »

Hello Folks,

Its been about 30 years since I went to uni.

Please can someone tell me what forms I need to complete for a child to start university? I think it is:

student loan for tuition fees
maintenance loan
bank account form

Is there anything I am missing?

Rgds
F4T.
scary mum

Re: what forms parents need to complete for child going to u

Post by scary mum »

Your child will need to complete them, not you. I don't think I've ever done anything other than supply funds & kit them out with stuff for their room.
I think (not sure as I didn't complete them) the loan is all one form.
There are all sorts of other things that could come up to do with accomodation, travel (railcard etc). Don't worry though, they will all become apparent.
Your child will register with the uni once they are there & register with a GP etc.
scary mum
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I have to say that DS got the ball rolling on this one only after I asked him if he’d applied. I still have no idea what the forms look like though.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

they are all online these days & the student loan / maintenance loan is all part of the same process - parents only get involved if evidence of income is needed

they do their own bank account / railcard / accommodation etc etc

best thing parents can do is just be around and wait for

"muuuuum, what do I put for........? / muuuuum what does this mean......? / muuuuum what's my national insurance number ........?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

hermanmunster wrote:they are all online these days & the student loan / maintenance loan is all part of the same process - parents only get involved if evidence of income is needed

they do their own bank account / railcard / accommodation etc etc

best thing parents can do is just be around and wait for

"muuuuum, what do I put for........? / muuuuum what does this mean......? / muuuuum what's my national insurance number ........?
The last one being very pertinent, as your DC will need this for their student finance application.

(DS1 had his taped to the back of his school ID card, because he had needed to give it to the school when he helped out at the 11+ exam day in yr12 in order to be paid. DD worked as a lifeguard through sixth form, so (having found it initially fr that) had hers to hand on every pay slip.

DS2's has been the image on regularly forwarded family WhatsApp messages, as insurance against the next time he / none of us can find it :roll:).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I didn’t do any. DD has just finished her first year.

DD applied for the minimum student loan as we knew she wouldn’t get more than that, so we didn’t need to provide proof of income. Otherwise I think that would be the only thing a parent would need to do. However they need to start the process for student loans, before the parent can add their bit. They should have ready done this by now.

What you may need to do for their second year is guarantor stuff for when they are renting places.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Not a lot for you to do. Keep nudging your child to remind them to look at their emails as there will be lots of stuff that they will have to respond to / complete promptly . Also if you are paying your child's rent ( in my experience the minimum maintenance loan did n't even cover the rent) then you will probably have to set up a direct debit directly with the university.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Twinkle wrote:Not a lot for you to do. Keep nudging your child to remind them to look at their emails as there will be lots of stuff that they will have to respond to / complete promptly . Also if you are paying your child's rent ( in my experience the minimum maintenance loan did n't even cover the rent) then you will probably have to set up a direct debit directly with the university.

We agreed to cover DDs rent and she would live off the loan. When she got the bill for halls at the start of each term, she asked DH for that amount and he transferred the money to her bank account, so it was still her responsibility to pay it, Rather than ours.

This year she will be in private accommodation, and paying monthly, so the two of them have to decide how they are going to set that up. (And actually that reminds me, they need to do that soon, the lease starts in a week!)

And yes, the minimum loan wouldn't cover rent.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agree - minimum loan doesn't go very far, I paid the rent directly and they lived off the loan, seemed to be that accommodation offices were well set up for people other than the student to make the payments
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Well set up to the point that when I go online to set up the payment schedule for daughter's rent, while I have to know her student number the next question is "relationship to student?" and as far as I remember "I am the student" isn't even an option...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now