renting in london

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
food4thought

renting in london

Post by food4thought »

hello everyone,
I have a child at university in London. I'm looking at accommodation in central london and it is horrendous. We are talking 250 to 450 pounds a week. I’m trying to sort out his accommodation for the second year. Are there any suggestions for independent places that rent to students …… please??
ToadMum

Re: renting in london

Post by ToadMum »

Has your DC tried the accommodation office at their university for advice / possible info on established groups looking for an extra person to join them etc? Are they looking for somewhere as an individual, or with a group of friends?

The website spareroom.co.uk can be searched in various ways, depending on what one is looking for; when DS1 was moving to Bristol for postgrad, he found a 'buddy' to look with - and subsequently a flat - via the site.

Have they tried the intercollegiate halls and the private halls providers (urbanest, Unite Students and others).

If they are not willing to look outside the centre of London, then £250 pw may be a bargain and the norm a lot more.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
food4thought

Post by food4thought »

thanks,

my mesage got deleted so havet typed it again.

will try spareroom.co.uk and Unite Students
I dont know much about them - so appreciated.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Rightmove has a specific student rental search facility DC can try - but I would suggest asking the uni and other students how they have found accommodation - there may well be preexisting relationships which DC can take advantage of. it does also depend how central DC thinks they need to be (and why :lol: )- friend's daughter is in a flat share in Fulham for £700 per month - it that was not the cheapest she found.
mad?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I would second Spareroom, two of my children found accommodation through that - I'm not sure how it works as they did it all, but I do know you have to watch out for scams - one nearly got sucked into one in Bristol. If something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is, and never pay any deposit up front (the scammers will say that they have to travel a long distance for the viewing).
DS nearly moved into a house in north London for £800/month, but it was way above the standard most students would expect, so I'm sure your DC can find something. Given the extensive tube network they don't really need to be terribly central.
Have they actually done any research or spoken to other students? The student market is usually very different to the general rental market (different types of contract, fir example).
scary mum
solimum

Post by solimum »

I’m trying to sort out his accommodation for the second year.
It is difficult but vital for the young person to be the main mover in sorting it out - parents may well be invited to help discuss options, advise whether contracts look dodgy, and will no doubt be called upon as guarantors, cleaners, removal firm, suppliers
of emergency kettle etc but if he is in his first year the rest of his cohort will be doing likewise (in fact many of those decisions are made ridiculously early on leading to 2nd year shares with freshers-week friends who have subsequently drifted apart...). None of my offspring have been London undergraduates but in other cities there seems to be an established student market with its own timetable.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

solimum wrote:
It is difficult but vital for the young person to be the main mover in sorting it out - parents may well be invited to help discuss options, advise whether contracts look dodgy, and will no doubt be called upon as guarantors, cleaners, removal firm, suppliers
of emergency kettle etc but if he is in his first year the rest of his cohort will be doing likewise (in fact many of those decisions are made ridiculously early on leading to 2nd year shares with freshers-week friends who have subsequently drifted apart...). None of my offspring have been London undergraduates but in other cities there seems to be an established student market with its own timetable.
Would second this. They should be doing to leg work really. Also I know many start looking before Christmas for places, and that could be the reason there’s not a lot of options left. DD had her all sorted, contracts in place etc, before going back in January.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tinkers wrote:
solimum wrote:
Would second this. They should be doing to leg work really. Also I know many start looking before Christmas for places, and that could be the reason there’s not a lot of options left. DD had her all sorted, contracts in place etc, before going back in January.
According to posters on the subject on another Internet forum, the organisation of second and subsequent year accommodation in London actually tends to take place much later in general than in university towns / cities outside the capital.

Another factor which may well be affecting the demand for more central accommodation is those being asked / required / choosing to return to the office rather than working from home looking for a shorter commute.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now