Off to uni ...

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Tom's mum

Off to uni ...

Post by Tom's mum »

Well, Asda seem to be doing a roaring trade in student gear - certainly took a three figure sum off my hands!

DS moves into halls next Sunday, so we're trying to remember everything he needs (need to temper this anxiety with the realisation that he is not going to the Uni of Outer Mongolia and there are actual shops nearby).

Intrigued to hear that, according to DS, 'the 'good' unis don't start until Oct and they get all of Jan off too'. His explanation for the longer terms at his are because 'we're all a bit slower and need extra time to study' (it's a mid league uni). Any thoughts on this?!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Where's Tom off too?
solimum

uni

Post by solimum »

Term start/finish dates do vary quite a lot even among quite similar universities: my eldest started at Leicester (Uni) a good week or two after many of his contemporaries going elsewhere. Oxbridge of course have notoriously short but intensive terms (don't seem to save much on the accommodation costs though...). Some places have gone over to a two semester year which migh explain the longer January break, but then very little time off at Easter (good for cheap ski trips though - or should that be January revision....)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Some have long induction programmes for new 'freshers' - so the teaching may not start for one or two weeks.
KB

Post by KB »

Son going to Cambridge will be working 6 day week for the few weeks he is there :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KB - that may be what they say but the reality is somewhat different ... :lol:
KB

Post by KB »

maybe for arts but not science these days from what I hear :)
solimum

Post by solimum »

And mathematicians have lectures at 9am on Saturdays....... My son has been told he should expect a 70 hour week (!)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I know mathematicians have a lot of lectures but usually 4 hours a day ... these hours do not match with what recent graduates tell me :lol:
KB

Post by KB »

Think science students have alot more timetabled hours than arts. Guess it also depends on the youngsters - mine has always had to put in the hours because of SLD so is quite used to it. Sure he will make most of his new found freedom as well :)