Daughter has her heart on Oxford/Cambridge

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

medwaymum wrote:This is way beyond me this actual knowledge however a good friend of mine had a niece who was applying to Oxford/Cambridge this year (not sure which or both) and went through the various stages, got quite far I'm told, but was rejected. The problem then was that no other uni would take her...apparently this was spelt out to her at the beginning that if you undertake the Oxbridge route and its not successful you could find yourself with no other offers!
Always wondered about this and now I'm hoping someone can enlighten me what this is all about... :roll:
I personally think this is rubbish, but there is a slight danger that universities which receive applications before October 15th will assume the candidates have also applied to Oxford or Cambridge, and might therefore not offer them a place. I have seen too many outstanding candidates receiving five offers including Oxford or Cambridge to believe this though. It certainly used to be the case when universities could see on the form exactly where you had applied that some (eg Bristol) would not make an offer to an Oxbridge candidate, but these days they could never be certain that they weren't victimising someone simply for being very efficient in sending their UCAS form off early.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are a lot of false rumours about UCAS - most are untrue!

Universities will always offer a place to a good candidate - they DON'T worry about who else is on your list ....
solimum

UCAS

Post by solimum »

I suspect that what sometimes happens and gives rise to these semi-apocryphal tales is that someone has applied for five very competitive courses such as History or Medicine at top universities with very similar grade requirements and for some reason (maybe a less-than scintillating personal statement that doesn't stand out, or the wrong choices of A levels) fails to get offers at any of them for the same reason. I agree with Guest55 - it makes no sense for Warwick or Manchester say to turn someone down because they might get into Oxford - after all two-thirds don't get in anyway so they would be foolish to miss the chance of attracting some very able candidates (they often offer generous incentives to those getting one or more As too...)
melinda

Post by melinda »

weird, and this is completely off topic, but it is just past 12 midnight 28th with me and Solimum has a timed posting at 12.29 a.m. on 29th.
Am I on a different planet suddenly?? Someone's clock must be out on this forum.! :lol:
melinda

Post by melinda »

ahhhhh clocks have not been put back on this forum - dumb dumb (thats me) Thank goodness I thought I was going mad.........
solimum

Post by solimum »

Alternatively Solihull has just been relocated to a warmer timezone and I must be dreaming the snow outside...
KB

Post by KB »

Some strong depts at top unis ( who make 3A offers) do wait until after Oxbridge offers to do their interviews though so those who have already accepted Oxbridge offers by then aren't wasting everyone's time attending interviews only to turn down offer when the Oxbridge one comes through.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KB,

Not many do - remember not everyone accepts the Oxbridge offer :D

Sometimes another university and their offer is more attractive - I've known quite a few students do this ...
KES Parent

Post by KES Parent »

KB wrote:Some strong depts at top unis ( who make 3A offers) do wait until after Oxbridge offers to do their interviews though so those who have already accepted Oxbridge offers by then aren't wasting everyone's time attending interviews only to turn down offer when the Oxbridge one comes through.
Students still need to select an insurance choice of university unless their offer is unconditional, so may still attend any interviews offered after the Oxbridge offers are made. Not many other universities do interview students, though, except for medicine.

I can't imagine many students turn down an Oxbridge offer to go elsewhere having gone through all the ordeal of the extra tests and interviews to get there. It would be a massive amount of effort and stress to go to just to prove a point.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

KES parent,

I don't think it is ever a case of 'proving a point' - sometimes Oxbridge is not as attractive as the alternative. As I said I do know quite a few and I cannot think that the schools I've taught in are particularly exceptional in any way.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now