University entrance

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I am serioulsy thinking of retiring early so my DC gets support from the state that I have contributed to for lots of years :lol:
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

BBC News Report wrote:Two thirds believed fees had not deterred applications from students from poorer families.
How do they calculate this? If the fees have deterred students and haven't applied in the first place. :?

They are certainly putting a university education out of reach. :(
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I would imagine that the numbers applying will certainly go down if the fees reach 20k per year :shock:
Well then we won't be bothering with good secondary education and 11 plus exams
Rgds,
LFH
zee

Post by zee »

Returning to the original point, the idea of Cambridge making A*AA the normal minimum offer is sensible. The A* was created for a reason and according to the BBC version of the story, they turn down around 5,000 applicants with predicted AAA every year, so this will help them pick the best candidates.

What I haven't investigated yet (a couple more years till it's relevant and it may all change again) is the typical offer for those expected to have have four A2s, ie with double maths, for studying maths and physics etc.
solimum

Post by solimum »

For Maths Cambridge currently expect candidates to take the STEP paper which is taken in June (after A levels) and make offers based on grades in that as well as A levels. I'm not sure if this would be superseded by the A* - I suspect not for the moment. Warwick & Imperial also ask for the STEP (sixth term entrance paper). This is unlike Oxford which has an entrance exam for maths (and a range of other subjects) which is taken in the Autumn term and is used to select candidates for interview - an offer then is made based on A levels
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

deleted
Last edited by Loopyloulou on Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loopy
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I think it makes sense, there is no way of telling which were the top As.

As I understand it, under the old system (when 3 Bs would get you into medicine) the grades were awarded differently so teh top x % got A next x% got b etc. This took into account variations in difficulty of exam etc. Now it is cut off my number of marks. So it isn't really grade inflation as it's not like for like.

They do have an Advanced Extension Award at the moment for the brightest pupils which tests a different kind of knowledge. at the moment. Marks are distinction or merit

NB I don;t have any A levels, I left at 17 because I didn;t want to be a teacher!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Well - I personally think that the introduction of the A* grade merely devalues the current A grade, downsizing it into the equivalent of a B.
I understand from my oldest child in year 13 that everyone in his GS who applied to Oxford was given offers, but none of them who applied to Cambridge did. How bizarre, I thought Oxford was the top university - how silly of me.
LFH
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think the current A grade will only become devalued if a staggering number of pupils achieve and A*. I feel a B grade will lose much more value than an A and some will deem a C as almost a fail, if they don't already. (I do not deem C as a fail)
solimum

Post by solimum »

Looking for help wrote:Well - I personally think that the introduction of the A* grade merely devalues the current A grade, downsizing it into the equivalent of a B.
I understand from my oldest child in year 13 that everyone in his GS who applied to Oxford was given offers, but none of them who applied to Cambridge did. How bizarre, I thought Oxford was the top university - how silly of me.
LFH
I think when the numbers are relatively small and anecdotal there will always be variation from year to year. Of my son's year group at his comp, I know of two now at Oxford (who both incidentally went to KE grammars for 6th form) but several more now at Cambridge - to some extent it's the luck of the draw, the attraction/ competitiveness of different courses, school connections, older siblings etc. I also know one friend's son in the year below (now at an indie) who wasn't offered a place at Oxford for next year.

Oxford is of course NOT quite the top university but we'll let that pass....!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now