University entrance

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
KB

Post by KB »

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergr ... ments.html

Much better than listening to me!!

Short answer is you certainly dont need Biology to do Physical Sciences & you dont HAVE to have Chemistry but this info suggests Maths with Physics as alternative to NatSci as more appropriate course if dont have other science A levels.

All admissions material stresses that consideration is given to applicant's background so if the school only offers 3 A levels it shouldn't disadvantage a student as long as they have chosen the appropriate subjects. They might be eligible to apply under the special access scheme.

Even for bright students, taking Further Maths as well as 3 sciences is a challenge. With changes at A level and changes in Cambridge offers, students could be made an offer that includes A grade at Further Maths and A* in any number of other 4 subjects (think be too extreme even for Cambridge to make A* offer in FM in those circumstances :)
Strategically would need to wonder if doing less subjects would be better.

We are pondering this atm - anyone with insight?
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I applied to Cambridge last year and was studying Biology Chemistry and Maths for entry into Natural Sciences (Zoology). I was told that it would be good if I also had Physics eventhough it did not mention it on there admissions site. So effectively they were looking for 4 A'levels not 3.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

KB wrote:We are pondering this atm - anyone with insight?
<<<deleted>>> as I obviously entirely missed the point

:lol:
Animis opibusque parati
KB

Post by KB »

Thanks - we are familiar with the course etc as my son is currently first year.
Question we are dealing with is more strategic i.e. if No.2 child continues with 5 academic subjects is there more chance of getting an offer but is the offer likely to be harder to meet ie. more subjects stated in offer. Specifically, is it likely that Further Maths, which is currently being studied off timetable, will be required at A grade wheras if it is only studied to AS level an A grade is more acheivable.... As for what is happening with A* - who knows :?
sj355

Post by sj355 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:I applied to Cambridge last year and was studying Biology Chemistry and Maths for entry into Natural Sciences (Zoology). I was told that it would be good if I also had Physics eventhough it did not mention it on there admissions site. So effectively they were looking for 4 A'levels not 3.
Good girl! I did not know that. :D What happened?

I mentioned in another thread that a colleague's daughter was made an offer for AAAB for Biology (or Zoology, now that I think of it, not sure) so yes, it is 4 A levels
sj355
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Family life happened! :roll: Plus I didn't research the course content well enough and decided I didn't like it! :o
sj355

Post by sj355 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Family life happened! :roll:

A pity. You should defintely consider it for later.
Plus I didn't research the course content well enough and decided I didn't like it! :o[/quote
]

This is a very strangely structured sentence (have you been drinking young lady?). Then if you research it better you might like it?
sj355
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Is the question mark for drinking or asking if I'm a young lady? :lol:

Re the sentence structure: I am dyslexic :(
sj355

Post by sj355 »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:Is the question mark for drinking or asking if I'm a young lady? :lol:
:lol: :lol: If it was trying to find out in which age group you belong I would have asked: Are you a drinking young lady?
Re the sentence structure: I am dyslexic :(
:oops: My apologies, I meant no offence. I am sure it is of the mildest possible variety. I would never have quessed from any of your previous mailings
sj355
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I am a high achieveing dyslexic! :roll: I knew there was something wrong with me for years but it went undiagnosed and got a good O'level but would never have managed A'level even if my O'level made me eligible to choose it in the sixth form. It got diagnosed when I was applying for a college course and now I use the term continuously to justify my lack of grammar and make others feel guilty! :wink: :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now