University entrance

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Sorry, not trying to offend, just quoting the good university guide from the Times :oops:

LFH
solimum

Post by solimum »

Don't worry - there is always good-natured light blue/ dark blue rivalry between the two best universities. And actually there are some subjects for which (whisper it) other places might even be better..........
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Glad to hear it ! Idon't think any of my children will be going there :lol:

LFH
KB

Post by KB »

Cambridge has already started making offers on 4 A levels. Know of several this year - not including maths/ Further maths either.

Physics at Cambridge studied as part of Natural Sciences. Last year DS took Maths, FM, Physics, Chem & was offered 3 As but specified FM, Chem, Physics so was in practice 4 As.

New A* system is going to be a bit of a lottery because have to get 90% in the A2 modules so cannot rely on very good AS marks to boost a 'bad day' in the final exams.
Think it would be fairer to return science syllabus to a more academic one so only those students able to cope with more challenging material (closer to University requirements) would be able to get the 80%+ required for an A grade.

Personally have greater faith in Cambridge admissions interviews/ school references in judging who will benefit from the Cambridge 'system' than a few hours of an exam where even the best scientists can slip up on 'science in the world around us' type questions!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

If all uni's required you to sit their own entrance papers then we could ditch sixth form qualifications altogether!
solimum

Post by solimum »

T.i.p.s.y wrote:If all uni's required you to sit their own entrance papers then we could ditch sixth form qualifications altogether!
Wasn't that how A levels started in the first place? As entrance qualifications for university

Incidentally re module marks, especially within Maths/ Further Maths there is (or was) a lot of scope for rearranging modules into combinations to get the best grades. Most serious candidates for Oxbridge Maths would probably be getting close to full marks in some of the earlier modules - they don't have to be "cashed in" at the AS stage

I imagine though it also depends on the policy of the particular admissions tutors, whether they over-offer substantially (and thus make difficult offers which they know a number are going to just miss) or whether they choose the people they really want first and make offers they're pretty sure to meet.
KB

Post by KB »

I think for Oxbridge Maths the A level has become almost irrelevent as the standard is simply not close to the University course requirements. I am sure the colleges look at the module results as the time of interview and would indeed be expecting pretty well full marks.
As far as I am aware Cambridge Maths Offers all include STEP results & these are a very much harder test than the A level or even the Further Maths exams.
My son got a very high mark in the both A levels but was extremely pleased that he did not need to sit the STEP papers for entry to his course!

Similarly the AEA papers (at least in the science subjects) are beyond A level but quite different in that they do not have a fixed syllabus that can be taught in the same way - they are more of a test of ability to apply a wider knowelege of he subject. I have not come across any scientists who have been asked for AEA grades by Cambridge though.
zee

Post by zee »

KB wrote:Physics at Cambridge studied as part of Natural Sciences. Last year DS took Maths, FM, Physics, Chem & was offered 3 As but specified FM, Chem, Physics so was in practice 4 As.
So does that mean that to study physics at Camb you have to study Chem and Bio too, and if so, does that mean it wouldn't be worth applying if you'd studied double Maths, Physics and AN Other subject?

(I know I could look this up, but you seem to know and it may be interesting for others.)
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

KB wrote:Cambridge has already started making offers on 4 A levels. Know of several this year - not including maths/ Further maths either.

Physics at Cambridge studied as part of Natural Sciences. Last year DS took Maths, FM, Physics, Chem & was offered 3 As but specified FM, Chem, Physics so was in practice 4 As.
I know of one bright sixth former who is very interested in applying for Natural Sciences at Cambridge, unfortunately his school does not routinely send students to Oxbridge (at least I don't know of any in the last few years) and most students at the school only sit 3 A-levels instead of 4...so I'm wondering if he's out of the race before it's even started, iyswim. :(
Marylou
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

In a lot of schools further maths is taught in the same timetabled lesson as maths because the students are very able and zoom through the syllabi quickly. So if you wanted to study Physics at uni then you could sit three sciences plus maths and FM but it won't only take up 4 A'level timetabled periods.