What is Ilford County High School like? CarShare N.Chingford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DanCon

What is Ilford County High School like? CarShare N.Chingford

Post by DanCon »

Hello,
I've just discovered this forum, better late than never!
My son was successful in the Ilford exam, but I don't have a good feel of what the school is really like having not been able to attend an open day there this year.
Can anyone tell me about the extra and co-curricular provision? Are the students well rounded individuals?
Has anyone commuted from North Chingford, or would like to car share on this route?
Warm wishes,
Adele
scary mum

Re: What is Ilford County High School like? CarShare N.Ching

Post by scary mum »

Welcome to the forum. I hope someone will be along to help you soon, in the menatime, please find below the standard advice we post when people enquire about car shares:
Checklist when considering a car share:

• How much do you really know about the other parent from a child safeguarding point of view? (Remember, anyone working with children, e.g. bus drivers for the school service, must have a current DBS form.)

• How much do you really know about their driving skills? Have you seen their insurance and car roadworthy details? (Remember that public transport and dedicated school services are required to have these, to a high level.)

• How would you cope if your child fell out with the other children in the car pool, or wanted to do different after school activities, or didn't want to stay after school when the other children were staying late?

• How would you cope if one of the other car pool parents had their car break down, or off the road for some other reason, at short notice?

• What if it's your turn to drive, and you or your child is sick?

• What if the other family turns out to be unreliable, or the driver/their child is regularly late, or ill?

• What if the other child moves to a different school?

• What if one child needs to stay after school for an activity or event?

• What if the driver smokes when driving?

• What if the driver's conversation turns out to be objectionable or age inappropriate?

(With acknowledgements and thanks to one of our members who suggested that this guidance might prove helpful.)
scary mum
AS2020

Post by AS2020 »

DanCon wrote:Hello,
I've just discovered this forum, better late than never!
My son was successful in the Ilford exam, but I don't have a good feel of what the school is really like having not been able to attend an open day there this year.
Can anyone tell me about the extra and co-curricular provision? Are the students well rounded individuals?
Has anyone commuted from North Chingford, or would like to car share on this route?
Warm wishes,
Adele

We also cleared the Ilford County but its not our first preference. The school seems to be low on budget and the teachers are not much happy.
https://www.ilfordrecorder.co.uk/news/e ... ol-3223308" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

That report was from July 2019, so over 2 years ago.
scary mum
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

I have a very good friend that has a son in year 8.

His son seems very happy when I spoke to him recently.

Sadly all the parents who have children there wont be reading and responding to threads here in my view.
Rainbow_G

Post by Rainbow_G »

Hi,

Just came across this post, not sure why Redbridge Grammar parents don’t reply but I’m here to break the norm!

My DS is in Y8 and so far he’s had an enjoyable time at ICHS. Clubs post Covid have now re-started. Cricket/Basketball/Football/Badminton/Table Tennis and Futsal clubs all available.

Academics wise you have Maths club/Computing/Book club amongst others. My mind has now gone blank but happy to check and update later.

Yes the school has budget issues but overall the quality of teaching cannot be faulted. You have good teachers and not so good teachers regardless of the school setting. My eldest DS is at Bancrofts and I speak from experience when I say good/not so good teachers exist regardless of state/grammar/independent setting.

From personal experience I’ve found parent views aren’t always accurate, most of the time there is some grudge held, especially if the views are not favourable towards a school!
dk2011

Post by dk2011 »

This is quite helpful for kids/parent who are going to start ICHS in September 2022.
Rainbow_G wrote:Hi,

Just came across this post, not sure why Redbridge Grammar parents don’t reply but I’m here to break the norm!

My DS is in Y8 and so far he’s had an enjoyable time at ICHS. Clubs post Covid have now re-started. Cricket/Basketball/Football/Badminton/Table Tennis and Futsal clubs all available.

Academics wise you have Maths club/Computing/Book club amongst others. My mind has now gone blank but happy to check and update later.

Yes the school has budget issues but overall the quality of teaching cannot be faulted. You have good teachers and not so good teachers regardless of the school setting. My eldest DS is at Bancrofts and I speak from experience when I say good/not so good teachers exist regardless of state/grammar/independent setting.

From personal experience I’ve found parent views aren’t always accurate, most of the time there is some grudge held, especially if the views are not favourable towards a school!