Difficult subject...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TP123

Post by TP123 »

Please let us know what redbrdge say. I would love someone to confirm that we have it wrong. Then we can wait for the results with some hope...

My sister was preparing her son for 2011 entry but has now stopped as it is a non starter. She will just be trying for Essex - though it is miles away.
babes

Difficult Subject

Post by babes »

Hi guys

Its me again, I have spoken to Redbridge council this afternoon and spoke to a lovely lady who confirms that she has heard that this has happened and did not rule out that this may have happened. Initally she failed to understand how this was possible but when i explained that a child would only have to remember say question 1 and 10, the tutor can easliy find out the answer, times this by 37 children and you have the questions to the whole paper.

She has told me to send an email with my concerns, and my suggetions as what should happen.

I would advice those who know for sure that their child was approached to name and shame the tuor or centre involved then at least redbridge may take this into consideration when they allocate places. (not sure if this is feasible but a suggestion)

I will be emailing the council tonight and do hope others will also so that the council will have to act.

thankyou for listening and to those parents who were brave an honest to voice their concerns.
TP123

Post by TP123 »

Thanks Babes. I will be posting my email with firm suggestions on improvements for next year.
Trixystone

Post by Trixystone »

I also spoke to a man at Redbridge Council in the 11+ team. He too was aware of this issue and said they are investigating the matter. He explained that the problem Redbridge council are having is that they are getting a large amount of telephone calls from the public saying this is happening, however they are not being given names of the culprits and are therefore finding it hard to take action. I pointed out that regardless of whether people are giving names or not, the fact was there is an obvious flaw that is open to abuse in their system and therefore should not need evidence to substantiate these allegations before taking action to eradicate this flaw. I do not believe anybody should be forced into giving names (if they really feel that uncomfortable in doing so) in order for Redbridge Council to act. He also explained that Redbridge Council are extremely strict with the reasons people give as to why they cannot do the test on Saturdays and as such require documented proof to back these reasons, such as a sick certificate from their GP or a death certificate if they claim somebody close has passed away. He was not able to explain what documented proof was needed if somebody claimed they could not do Saturday’s test for religious reasons, but stated they looked into this as well.

I also advised him of another situation, where I was today telling somebody of this forum and the concerns a lot of parents were having with the cheating, however, this information was no surprise to this person who told me that the head-teacher of the private school her children attend also asks pupils to get questions, so that she can use these questions to tutor late-sitters (in April) and the next year, and this was something she had been doing for years. What concerns me is that I know that this flaw has been brought to Redbridge Councils attention in previous years, because of the situation I spoke of in a previous post, wherein one of the pupils parents reported the tutor to the council, but even with this information they have failed to act and put measures in place to protect the integrity of the test in their borough. When I put this to him he explained that Redbridge Council were not aware, until now, of how huge this problem was, but were dealing with it.

I’m sure (well I hope) the majority of Sunday sitters are genuine and it is a minority that are using this day to benefit them, but even if only one person gets through by cheating in this way, that is still too much.

I have told Redbridge Council that I will be writing to them so that all my concerns are documented and they have advised me they will also put their responses in writing back to me. They also said they are continuing to look into these allegations and would be making a statement to update all parents at some point.
fusspot99

Post by fusspot99 »

I have just been reading all of the posts on this subject. I am a tutor in Redbridge, and I have to say that I agree with yoyo. I would never ask a child to do that. Unfortunately I know for a fact that there are tutors who will do this. And from what I hear some of them they are rather large tuition groups that have been established for a very long time.
I do not understand what sort of an example they feel they are setting for the child to feel that it is ok to cheat .
Milla

Post by Milla »

I just don't get how the first group are willing to be sacrificial lambs to the second, enhancing their chances at the expense of their own. Quite apart from the cheating being just wrong, small children should not be approaching very important, life-pivotting tests with a portion of their brain dedicated to "must remember to note questions 5 and 17 to help Little Johnny tomorrow." And what if he hates Little Johnny. I'd be spitting fur feather and chips if I were a Saturday mother.
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/47/47055t4vjrz296r.gif[/img]
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I don't suppose that the saturday kids are actually told why they have to remember the questions on saturday.

Maybe the tutors just tell them they are interested and that in the past other kids have remembered questions which has then helped the current year in revising and practising for the test.

Interesting about the documentation required.. can't see how a child il on the saturday is likely to be well enough to a) go to tuition in the evening and b) take the test on sunday. I work out of hours a doctor and sorting out certificates for kids with one day (and hence minor) illness is the last thing we get into!

Also evidence of religion? .. KES in B'ham used to accept the word I think - then there was one Jewish school (I presume those who didn't want to take the test on saturday were mainly jewish - there weren't many seventh day adventists around then) so I suppose some came from there and others would have known each other from habonim or synagogue, odd if a complete stranger appeared..
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I cannot understand why Redbridge have not ordered a retest for all children on one day. I would think that is only fair in the circumstances as no-one is going to have any faith in the results unless it can be proved without doubt that this cheating did not happen.
PB Mum

Post by PB Mum »

Prsumably if it's been happening over a period of time, then analysis of (this and ) previous year's results may be indicative: Sat:Sunday passes, distribution of schools sitting Sat or Sun, and pass rates etc? How awful for those of you potentially affected.... :shock:
TP123

Post by TP123 »

We (actually my DS) sat the exam on Saturday and the last thing he wants to do is resit the exam. Its not fair on him - he (like many others) are relieved that it is all over and are happily chilling out. What a nightmare it would be to say that he has to do it all again.

Furthermore, this has been happening for "many" years - so how far back to they go?

I understand why that would be fair, but I guess I am one parent who has accepted defeat already.

I have told DS that if he passes then he is a genius. If he did not it is because of the flaw in the system and not because of his ability in anyway.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now