CAF and Essex Grammars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
postfield

CAF and Essex Grammars

Post by postfield »

We live in Ilford.I would like to enter my dc for the Redbridge exam and CCSE hoping for Woodford and CCH.I understand that the CAF allows you to enter four schools

I am looking at 1. Woodford 2. Chelmsford 3. ? 4. ?

No ideas about 3 and 4.I have heard that it is risky to try for only 2 grammars,what are your thougths on this ,the local comp leaves much to be desired.

Is it risky to try for Westcliff and southend.My intial reservation is distance to travel?
Hopefuldad

Re: CAF and Essex Grammars

Post by Hopefuldad »

Hi

Understand your dilemma, it is very tricky but you seem to start of well.

In redbridge you are allowed to put 6 schools down. You should put the schools down in order of your preference. There are contract buses running between ilford and chelmsford/westcliffe, the travelling will make it a long day but I have heard the kids get used to it. So put down all your GS's above the comps.

Southend residents seem to go for SHS's more than WHS's, so you have a better chance of getting into the westcliffe schools for being out-of catchment.

No matter how good/bad your catchment school is you must put it down as one of your choices. If your child, for whatever reason, doesnt make it and you dont put down your CS then they could end up anywhere. So you risk getting a worst school compounded with travel.

We did 3 GS's and 3 comps last year.

I hope that has helped.

HD
sargul

Post by sargul »

the distants to chelmford to southend or westcliff is not much difference tbh! infact id say chelmsford would be further!
I used to live in westcliff and we travel to gantshill all the time its not that bad at all!

so westcliff or southend could be a option!

what about Ilford county high?

there is also indepentant schools where you could get schollaship :) or looking the opposit way into center of london there are a few more grammers!

good luck!
postfield

Post by postfield »

I have looked at the scholarships Bancroft but would like to know if there are other grammars towards the centre of London .It would be easy to travel on the Central Line.Do you know any grammars on that route?
tubby

Post by tubby »

Hi Postfield, am also thinking of entering my DD for chelmsford and woodford, but for essex, you will have to put one of their schools as your number one preference on the caf form in your local borough which is Redbridge, which l think is a bit scary, putting Woodford as 2nd choice, have you come across this as well, or am getting it wrong :?

Thanks