Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Fat pigeon

Re: 2014 entry

Post by Fat pigeon »

At last my dd has done some papers :)

NVR Letts = 80% exactly.

VR Letts = averaging 78%. ( Dds friend also took it & got 63%. )

I am slightly disappointed, but know that my relative, a ds, was an ace, dropped precipitously a month before the 11+ by about 10 to 15%, before cruising in the top half. He is quite an emotional dc. I think that we must expect sine wave like results, as they are only kids :D .

He loves ICHS & is topping 2 subjects I.e. modern foreign language (unexpected as he was g+t in maths) & maths.

So, there you guys, the roller coaster ride that is the 11+, all aboard...
The good guys always win in the end - Up, up & away...
Fat pigeon

Post by Fat pigeon »

Sorry, re-checked that NVR Letts & the mark was 75% :cry:
KhadijahA-R

Post by KhadijahA-R »

I think the thing about NVR is the way it is timed. It is a lot less 'flexible' than VR, where the dc has the option of leaving some questions till the end. My ds did a NVR paper today and got 92%, a massive difference. That could be due to him having a good day and a good night's sleep (not always easy with asd), it may also be that each day, I have given him a set of 10/12 questions to do, in 5/6 minutes at a time. I think he has become accustomed to it, plus he has improved with analogies.
He is a very happy boy today :D
KhadijahA-R

Post by KhadijahA-R »

Fat pigeon wrote:Sorry, re-checked that NVR Letts & the mark was 75% :cry:
Oh hey Pigeon, don't be sad.
Have a look at where her weaknesses are. For my ds it is the last two questions on each section (running out of time) and analogies.
Just a bit of practice to tackle my ds's weak spots has brought huge improvement.
There are still a few weeks to go, and in kiddy time that is 'ages' :) :wink:
All the best 8)
eastern

Post by eastern »

Ds had a better day on NVR up on 83% and 85% on bond practice papers.

After analysing his results 2 areas stood out he needs work on...odd one outs and matrices.

Couple apps in recommend help on VR - download a word search great fun and good way to combine dictionary work when they don't recognise a word.Ds has found this useful and also bit fun.

NVR - reinforce basics of angles shapes symmetry etc

Khan academy very good...
Fat pigeon

Post by Fat pigeon »

Thanks Khadijah, the morale-booster has lifted me from the slough of despond :D .

Dd took the Letts VR 11AM familiarisation test on the weekend.

Time taken = 40 mins cf to total allowed 50 mins.

Result = 81%. On untimed analysis dd got 88-90%.

Weaknesses= Letter sequences = 3 wrong.

Other things to improve = vocabulary (even though dd is G+T in English) & check, check & check again! :lol: .

I am so glad about your ds results & fantastic improvement. I am saving buying the forum apps till the summer holidays, in a big push as dd has thank God, good stamina.

I was going through DDs old toys & she pulled out a diary from age 8. It said, " I think dp has a problem, always going on about the 11+! " :wink: . I didn't realise that we began the journey from initial talks to 24/7 obsession that long ago...

10 WEEKS Left till E Day :shock:
Fat pigeon

Post by Fat pigeon »

Thanks eastern for sharing 8)

Dd took Letts 11D VR familiarisation test on the weekend too.

Result = 79%. On untimed analysis dd got 87%!

Weaknesses= Letter sequences, again. Odd 2 out, vocabulary.

Dd even managed to make her own answer up, which wasn't on the mc answer sheet causing no end of mirth to us dps, but embarrassed "stop laughing!" From dd. :lol: checking again!

Ps guys, one of my relatives will be at ICHS leading on a guided tour. He is currently a first year pupil. I pray that good people like the sharing carers will have your ds do that next year, God willing :D .
Fat pigeon

Post by Fat pigeon »

Dd took VR 11C & got 81%.
Letter sequences improved considerably, but vocabulary caused many errors.

Dd took VR book 1 ,official practice paper 1 & got 84% :D .
No preponderance of any particular error type.

As the wchs girl's feedback indicated 80s/90 > I am happy. I aim to hit 87% as a realistic endpoint giving us a strong fighting chance. As for NVR, it is too early & I am scared about that. I think boys tend to be far better at that on average anyway.

We bought the vocabulary app. It is slightly different format I.e. question type, but I can see the long-term benefits. Dd was shocked at the first marks, which I won't even mention :?
KhadijahA-R

Post by KhadijahA-R »

It sounds as though your dd is doing very well Pigeon :D
Which practice books are you using? We are using GL assessments practice papers for NVR and Susan Daughtrey Book 2 for VR.I am also using Walsh in sections for VR
I am worried I will run out of practice papers soon.
My ds did the GL paper1 - the notorious NFER paper 1 earlier on, before I knew it was the most difficult, so will definitely repeat that in a couple of weeks.
How is everyone planning their final weeks? I feel that I need a final push plan, especially for the summer hols. At the same time I feel a bit guilty making ds work in the summer hols, and often have to remind myself that it is for his own good, and the only 'kindness' right now would be to give him more practice papers...it is too much too young :?
Fat pigeon

Post by Fat pigeon »

Thanks KhadijahA-R :) .

I think that the open day was a great focus, though I have been quite emotional recently > I am not so scared to mention the F word now, & consider realistic alternatives, & how to deal with working up to a frenzy & not getting a super-selective place!

The local schools are lucky in that they are going to receive huge numbers of children with strong concentration skills, who are used to working hard week after week regularly, exam-trained & goal-orientated sharp discerning eyes & minds! I am sure that these children will be like cream rising to the top.

We are using the same as you ( great minds think alike, hopefully :wink: ), except instead of the Walsh, we are using the EPE vocabulary app. The concentration is on Nfer/Gla VR. In addition to the Letts, I think that there are 2 Gla practice paper books. We are panicking & did a manic one on the Gla recently, but are running out of options!

I too have heard about the evil NVR 11A & specifically & on many occasions told my DOH NOT to give that till much later, as I was worried about destroying confidence permanently this early! But guess what, DOH took that as a challenge & gave 3 sections. I done the paper over several days untimed & got 61%. It is a real killer. Suffice to say that dd got less than me, but I have not marked it fully, as it really is off-putting, & we are not doing NVR yet.

Yesterday, we got the maximum I think it's possible to stretch to for our dd I.e. exactly 90% in the Gla VR practice familiarisation test 2 in book 1 :D . It seems a shame to give dc any more papers after smashing through the 87% barrier...back down to earth now.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now