Running out of steam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cello

Running out of steam

Post by cello »

Hello, I am new to the forum and have enjoyed all the posts. I think part of the problem now is that the children have a 'demob happy' feeling from the Summer term and we are pushing against it. My DD is thoroughly fed up and so am I! If I had known it would be 1800 applicants as opposed to the normal 800 I'm not sure that I would have put her in for it..... But we have come this far so might as well have a go. Sorry to moan on a first post but a bit of maternal guilt going on today!
KhadijahA-R

Re: Running out of steam

Post by KhadijahA-R »

Maternal guilt is such an awful thing isn't it? Damned if you do extra practice and damned if you don't :twisted:
I think a couple of weeks holidays won't hurt will it? And I agree with another poster on here that it really is not the time for cramming. Most of the work will already have been done, and unless you are a late starter, there is no point in pushing our children. I think, certainly for my ds, his marks won't go up much now and he may be reaching his ' 'maximum' that he can attain. I certainly don't see the 10 - 15% jumps that I was seeing a couple of weeks ago. He seems to be levelling out.
:shock: at the number of applicants!
Competition is tough this year.
My ds has seen this website now, just hope to keep him away from all the stressy posts by us parents :? . At the moment he looks at the VR and NVR forums. If he found out what I posted on here, it would totally destroy my casual parent image :lol:
Fat pigeon

Post by Fat pigeon »

I think that this depends upon the individual & how long the pace has been up to the lead up to the 11+.

I am personally ready for a breather, slowing down the pace for a month, to idling ticking over, until about a month before, where i intend to gradually build up a head of steam, for a final dash for the line :!:

I visualise dc as a racing car, one cannot put the pedal to the metal indefinitely, without the engine smoking & spluttering, & coming to an inglorious halt. I am sure that many will be tempted by revving the speed to the max. & being beguiled by the fool's gold fevered imaginings of logarithmic increases in marks!

I think that we'll prepared dps realise that a plateau has been reached, without squeezing the very life juice out of dcs. Once that happy medium is reached, I believe that one should only put the foot on the accelerator sparingly to keep up the
Golden Mean of the plateau speed.

I have no concerns with cramming, as it is just a tool that is related & subservient to the final goal, of gaining maximum marks on the day. It can be useful in filling gaps in vital knowledge. The question arises, are there really any major gaps, or is the dp so insecure, that they need an artificial comfort blanket? I have heard various horror stories of how panicking dps, like a drowning person grab out at any panacea, & then getting into a worse situation.

My dd has also begun reading this forum of her own volition, a bit unexpected that, but never mind, as long as we have a frank & deep relationship with our dcs, this can be a bonding experience, shared travails & all that :D
The good guys always win in the end - Up, up & away...
cello

Post by cello »

Thanks for responding. I expected to feel 'fired up' at this point so it feels strange that in actual fact I feel my DD needs a rest. I think it's the realisation that the sheer number of applicants means that we're talking about poor odds indeed! Also it will come down to more than just preparation ie: how they feel on the day, will nerves get to them, will another child crying etc put them off. The irony is that the children who do get in will be so clever that they could probably overcome most schools anyway.

So we have settled on having a holiday and then having an end of summer rally and then forgetting the whole thing. :)
kelwaypops

Post by kelwaypops »

i registered for the exam a good few weeks ago now, i wasn't planning on visiting the school, no need really but my dd wanted to go. wish we hadn't. felt like there were literally thousands of girls there viewing the place. the catchment area for this school is vast. tbh i am very laid back about it, we haven't put much pressure on her. her tutor (she only goes once a week so she is familiar with the style of entrance exam) has told me that alot of the girls she tutors aren't academically clever enough to go to the school and tries to tell their parents (who won't accept it) thus making their lives miserable as they won't be able to keep up. i have heard that a fair few girls who get in are not as clever as some of their old school chums who didn't and have to be tutored to keep up but were good at the entrance exam. my point is that i don't think it means much as to who does and doesn't get in due to many stories i have heard from reasonably well informed sources. i have heard good things about both Beale high school and Woodbridge, plenty of kids going to uni' from these schools. but yes, i wish i hadn't visited the school as i think it looks FAB' and would LOVE for my dd to go there :-( tbh feels like there isn't much point in her sitting the exam. she isn't a hothoused kid, naturally clever yes, but she still has a childhood ie plays, watches tv, relaxes. they say the exam is based on natural ability but i don't think so :-( i don't see how they can create an exam that is truely based on natural ability without people being able to prepare for it (i am as guilty as the next person..)
RAB321

Post by RAB321 »

I'm in two minds about the 'ease off' approach. I know I would be pushing my DD but like the speeding car analogy. The open day is a good idea because I think the child would get put off on the actual day when they see the queues of people on exam day.

It's natural to want the best for your child....I personally like WCHS more than ICHS and the entrants reflect that...but I think each child is different. If I talk through something with my DD then she will keep her focus on that topic -- but as soon as I take the focus off its like she's forgotten! Her age is a factor (8)...but I wouldnt take the risk so close to the exams
Fat pigeon

Post by Fat pigeon »

I don't think that the exam is based purely on ability. I think it is
(ability + practice + luck + effective techniques)-(cheats+ stamina + nerves + luck).

Sorry about the cheats factor, but I recently heard someone who I trust mention a named tutor having managed to obtain the paper on 3 different occasions over the last decade. Apparently the tutor has a connection with Lbr. I don't know if there is any substance, but it is a potential factor. A relative who is in ICHS has mentioned that about 30 kids are nowhere near the standard required.
The good guys always win in the end - Up, up & away...
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The students who get in are NOT the most able, but the MOST prepared. The students who prepare over this holiday will give themselves the best opportunity to do well. Mocks are the best preparation. You will find out what your dc does not know in time to fix it. DG
kelwaypops

Post by kelwaypops »

kids who spend the whole of the summer revising/doing timed tests instead of having a life/being happy may be the 'best prepared' for the exam but may well struggle if they get in if they are not naturally clever enough to be there. i know of someone who works at wch and have heard many tales of kids being unhappy/clearly struggling to keep up having got in purely because they were forced to constantly revise/do tests. i wouldn't want that for my child, i'd prefer her to be happy....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now