To answer your questions:
1. How would you rate the opportunity for extra-curricular sports? A wide range of sports, inc rugby, swimming, football, table tennis, badminton, athletics etc.
My ds is particularly interested in football and cricket. Are there clubs for these? Yes esp cricket. there's a batting cage. he'll fit right in
2. What are the musical opportunities like for someone who is keen but not that advanced? later on you will get a letter in the post from ICHS telling you if you want him to sign up for music classes per term/year, there's opportunities to take piano, guitar, etc
3. In reality, how heavy is the homework? it's about 1/2 hours per night + various creative curricular activities which are supposed to be fun
4. Can you choose which language your child opts for in Year 7? no choice, only french compulsory for yr7.
5. We were told on the open day that there is alot of emphasis on assessments throughout the term in most subjects. What is that like? Is it stressful? nope, not stressful, however be prepared for PE HOMEWORK
6. Is the teaching 'Outstanding'? it's adequate.
7. What is the Head like? he's leaving at the end of this academic year but he was nice and strict during his time here
8. Is there a strong sense of community in the school? yes
9. Do your ds's really enjoy going to school?! he enjoys it, everyone will find to be friends with, even the quiet kids. the school fosters an environment to study hard.
10. Any complaints/criticisms? no , it's a regular school,
11. Would you say that the school has a Maths/Science bias? to be honest, they have the same emphasis in year 7 as other schools.
Source: i have a brother in yr 7.