Woodford Redbridge exam on the same day as Chelmsford Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Poonkymonkey

Woodford Redbridge exam on the same day as Chelmsford Girls

Post by Poonkymonkey »

Just checked on the Redbridge.gov website and Woodford's 11+ exam is on 13th September, the same day as Chelmsford's. I've rung up Redbridge council who will look into it. But just to warn all of those of you hoping to do both.

http://www2.redbridge.gov.uk/cms/childr ... ction.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.cchs.co.uk/ch/admissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Re: Woodford Redbridge exam on the same day as Chelmsford Gi

Post by ToadMum »

As the CCHS date was published quite a while ago, this is either an oversight or a deliberate decision by Redbridge. Can't think why the latter, though, as for them it's a case of one-way traffic - the possibility of some of their girls being taken off their hands with absolutely no intention of allowing the reverse to happen.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

It is also clashing with Latymer's exam which is on the 13th of September this year
ahap

Post by ahap »

I heard that Latymer and Chchs dates clashed last year as well but I'm not sure.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
TP123

Post by TP123 »

Just found this in CCHS's 2015 guide and am now super confused. Does this mean that sitting the one CEM test will be sufficient for both schools? How can we find out what our options are? :cry:

Applicants who wish to attend the entrance test for another school being held on the same day
as the CCHS Entrance Test will not be permitted to sit the CCHS Entrance Test on an alternative
day. This will not be deemed as an exceptional circumstance. The CEM (Centre for Evaluation
and Monitoring) test can only be taken once. If it is found that a candidate has sat the CEM test
more than once, the result obtained in the first test will be used by all schools.
[Admissions Policy for September 2015 Entry]
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

TP123 wrote:Just found this in CCHS's 2015 guide and am now super confused. Does this mean that sitting the one CEM test will be sufficient for both schools? How can we find out what our options are? :cry:

Applicants who wish to attend the entrance test for another school being held on the same day
as the CCHS Entrance Test will not be permitted to sit the CCHS Entrance Test on an alternative
day. This will not be deemed as an exceptional circumstance. The CEM (Centre for Evaluation
and Monitoring) test can only be taken once. If it is found that a candidate has sat the CEM test
more than once, the result obtained in the first test will be used by all schools.
[Admissions Policy for September 2015 Entry]
It certainly reads as if CCHS will obtain your score for any previously-taken test from CEM, even though the school is not part of any consortium. Unless Redbridge makes the same statement, it would make sense to enter your DD for the Redbridge test and presumably notify CCHS.

As for whom to ask in order to find out what your options are, since CCHS are the ones making the statement, it would make sense to phone them on Tuesday to ask for clarification.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Zyka

Post by Zyka »

I've just been informed by Redbridge council official, that both exams being taken on the same day is "delibrate". That's all they are saying at the moment.
They will be puting up more information on their website to explain further.
Based on what CCHS has already said, in my opinion it looks like they can also use Redbridge CEM result.
Poonkymonkey

Post by Poonkymonkey »

I rang up Redbridge this morning and they said to keep an eye on the website in May as they are sorting it out.

I got this reply below from Chelmsford.

We would advise you to apply to sit the test at each of the schools you wish your daughter to apply to.​  If it is found that a candidate has sat the CEM test more than once, the result obtained in the first test will be used by all schools.

Why do you then have to do two exams?​​

Regards​
vanityfair

Post by vanityfair »

Similar clashes are happening in North London and Watford. It seems amongst other things, a deliberate attempt to reduce the numbers of pupils who use sittings as mock exams. The cost of administering entrance exams per pupil are quite high. My DD did 6 exams last year out of desperation being that we reside in a borough with failing secondary schools. We did purchase mock exam practice exams prior however as 11 plus is a booming industry in Redbridge our neighbouring L.A. Glad to say she passed them all and we ended up choosing the second nearest school to us in Enfield. However this was all prior to the seemingly mass adoption of CEM by more and more authorities.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Poonkymonkey wrote:I rang up Redbridge this morning and they said to keep an eye on the website in May as they are sorting it out.

I got this reply below from Chelmsford.

We would advise you to apply to sit the test at each of the schools you wish your daughter to apply to.​  If it is found that a candidate has sat the CEM test more than once, the result obtained in the first test will be used by all schools.

Why do you then have to do two exams?​​

Regards​

It sounds very much like the two schools will be sharing the costs of one cem paper, but they have still got admin work to do on how they plan to inform one another of the scores if need be. You will need to register at both schools at the moment again presumably so they can split the candidates equally for the sittings?

All a bit of a pickle, but saving money in the long run, which has to be good for the schools.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now